Sep 23, 2006 Pelagic Report

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2005
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys trip on Monterey Bay today was windy, but good. The
      highlights were six species of shearwaters: 1 MANX, 3 FLESH-FOOTEDS, 300
      PINK-FOOTEDS, 150 BULLER'S, 5 SHORT-TAILS, and 1000 SOOTYS; 6 BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSSES; 4 NORTHERN FULMARS; 5 ASHY STORM-PETRELS, 13 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS;
      12 POMARINE and 9 PARASITIC JAEGERS. Full trip details follow. It was very
      gusty with 4 foot swells. Primarily, we birded off of Point Pinos. Steve
      Howell spotted the Manx Shearwater, and most folks with experience quickly
      picked it out amongst all of the other shearwaters. It flew around the boat
      for quite a bit. Todd McGrath got an identifying image, even if a little
      blurry. The Flesh-footed Shearwaters put on quite a show, with more than one
      in view near the boat. South Polar Skuas stole the show!

      Our next trips from Monterey with spaces available are: Sep 30, Oct 1, 7, 8,
      9, and 21; from Bodega Bay: Oct 10 & 14; from Fort Bragg: Oct 16. Please
      call, or email me, if you would like to join us. Spaces are limited on some
      trips.

      The full species list for Friday, September 23, 2005:

      COMMON LOON-1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-6
      NORTHERN FULMAR-4
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-300
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER-3
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-150
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-1000
      SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER-5
      MANX SHEARWATER-1
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-5
      BROWN PELICAN-+
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-240
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-15
      BLACK TURNSTONE-5
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-50
      RED PHALAROPE-10
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-13
      POMARINE JAEGER-12
      POMARINE/PARASITIC JAEGER-2
      PARASITIC JAEGER-9
      HEERMANN'S GULL-20
      CALIFORNIA GULL-450
      WESTERN GULL-150
      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL-1
      COMMON TERN-10
      COMMON MURRE-35
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-10
      SEA OTTER-+
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-150
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL-1
      HUMPBACK WHALE-3
      OCEAN SUNFISH-10
      BLUE SHARK-1

      The leaders were: Steve Howell, Mike Danzenbaker, Jennifer Green, Scott
      Terrill, Linda Terrill, and Debra Shearwater.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi
      ---
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com