September 24th Santa Barbara Pelagic

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2005
      Calbirders:

      This Saturday, The Condor Express will be running a 9 hour pelagic
      from Santa Barbara. This trip will visit the west end of Santa Barbara
      Channel, some deeper water south west of San Miguel, and various spots
      south of the nothern channel Islands. This is the same area where the
      Cscape crusie found North America's first Hornby's (Ringed) Storm-
      petrel, and where a recent mulit-day trip encountered a Cook's Petel
      just 12 miles south of San Miguel. This is also an area with several
      Sept records for Wedge-rumped storm-petrel. Obviously we don't expect
      to find rarities of that caliber, but there is always that potential,
      as this area is infrequently visited by birding trips

      When I visited this area a few weeks ago it was very birdy with
      thousands of shearwaters and numerous Skuas, but we were headed for
      Tropicbird waters and couldn't spend the time I would have liked
      looking through the flocks.

      The leaders for this trip will be Dave Compton, Dave Perekstra, Brad
      Schram, and Todd McGrath.

      The cost of the trip is $98 and you can make a reservation by calling
      the Sea Landing at 888-77-Whale. You can see pictures of the fast,
      cimfortable Condor Express by going to www.condorcruises.com

      I hope to see some of you on Saturday.

      Todd McGrath
      Marina Del Rey