Yellow Wagtail in Mendocino County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2005
      Sat, 17 Sep 2005 -- Yesterday evening (15 Sep) Dorothy "Toby" Tobkin found
      a YELLOW WAGTAIL at Virgin Creek Beach north of Fort Bragg. She went back
      this morning, refound the bird, confirmed its identity, and it has been
      seen by many observers this afternoon. It appears to be in first basic
      plumage and is a good match for the "1st Winter" illustration in Sibley but
      with a little different distribution of yellowish wash on the upper breast
      and flanks. It is a very active bird and has been moving around in the area
      where Virgin Creek crosses the beach to the ocean. Much of its time this
      afternoon was spent in the piles of kelp washed up on the beach, sometimes
      hidden from sight for some time. It also frequents the margins of Virgin
      Creek wading among the peeps, bathing in the creek, foraging on the
      sandflats, and perched on the bluffs and on rocks in the wash zone to the
      north. Although it moves around, it often returns to the exact same piles
      of kelp where it forages actively for brine flies.
      To reach this area drive north from Fort Bragg on Hwy 1. About 3/4
      mi. north of the Pudding Creek bridge there is a North-O-Town industrial
      park sign, and shortly beyond that is a dusty parking area on the east side
      of the road with the sign "Granite Construction Company". Park here, cross
      the highway, follow a sandy trail to the paved "haul road", turn right
      (north) on the pavement, and in about 200 yards you come to the small
      bridge over Virgin Creek. The wagtail was seen today in the area that you
      can see west from the bridge.
      Watch for further notices on Mendobirds
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mendobirds> and please post what you find
      there.
      Good birding!

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2005
        Thanks to a contribution from Ron LeValley, I have posted two images of the
        Yellow Wagtail taken yesterday at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        Enjoy!

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        Fall Birding Classes start Sep 13 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/