Kern Valley Vulture Watch begins tomorrow

  • Nature Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2005
      Hi All

      The 12th Annual Kern Valley Vulture Watch runs from 14 September through 14
      October, 2005.

      Each fall we assess the migration of Turkey Vultures through the Kern River
      Valley. The count relies on volunteer birders who come from all over
      California and states beyond, for a few days or regularly each week, to
      count up to thousands of migrating Turkey Vultures.

      For those who cannot spare the time to come up here, we have created a blog
      to participate virtually in the vulture count. We have also invited school
      children from the Kern Valley area to participate and hope that birder's
      throughout the county and country will find this a fun way to participate in
      logging the movement of vultures along the west coast migration path.

      We have put some basic questions up for observers to answer. Questions
      posted will be answered each evening after we leave the vulture count site.
      If you want to participate please comment on the appropriate question. We
      are looking to track three data areas, west coast, central California, and
      Kern Valley, find the area of your observation and comment there.

      As a precaution we have made it necessary to use the verification function
      each time you comment. To leave a comment: Click on comments - create an
      account - choose your user name - password, then use the back button to get
      back to the comment page and leave your comment.

      Please join us for the fun and contribute to migration studies! Here are the
      links:
      Kern Valley Vulture Watch Blog - http://vulturewatch.blogspot.com/
      Kern Valley Vulture Watch - http://www.natureali.org/TVcount.htm
      Kern Valley Turkey Vulture Festival - http://kern.audubon.org/tvfest.htm

      Thanks,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      760-378-2029
      Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.