Untangling that Great Knot

  • Nathaniel Wander
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2005
      Here's the rest of the story as Fix posted it to OBOL:

      Subject: NO Great Knot in California!
      From: "David Fix Jude Power" <dfxjcp AT humboldt1.com>
      Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:51:22 -0700

      Obolites,

      There is no Great Knot in California. I am sorry for the uproar. I got a phone
      message from a local birder saying I should look at an image that had been
      sent
      around. It was of shorebirds, and front and center WOW BABY! there was a Great
      Knot. As the picture came on an e-mail from an active local birder, I assumed
      it was taken somewhere in this area. I made calls to several birders which I
      then retracted when another birder, Kerry Ross, alayed my hysteria by asking
      what continent I thought the photo was taken on.

      With a rueful sinking feeling I pulled the photo up again and, sure enough, in
      the same field of view are a Wood Sandpiper, a Greenshank, a Redshank, an
      Oddwit, and what looks like a Far Eastern Curlew. Yes, it was taken at the
      world-class shorebird flats at MAI PO in Hong Kong! Valuable psychic income
      points for Kerry and a shake of the head from me. Irons tells me he forwarded
      my news to this list- thanks Dave, and my apologies to you.

      Nathaniel Wander
      San Francisco