Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Nutmeg manakin

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
      At 12:12 PM 9/9/2005, Jennifer Rycenga wrote:
      >There's been a persistent, if small, colony of NUTMEG MANNIKINS in San Jose
      >for a few years. I too am interested in the reputed origin for these birds,
      >which I know from Hawai'i, where they are a common introduced species.
      >
      >Jennifer Rycenga

      I suspect their numbers are propped up by various illegal and legal
      breeders. I found several large room-sized cages years ago full of
      exotic birds squirreled inside a tamarisk thicket in ag fields in
      Goleta. Both the fields and tamarisk are still present.... we have
      lots of sightings in Goleta as well ...... Jim Greaves, Santa Barbara CA