Caracara continues near Davenport, SCZ

  • dsuddjian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
      The CRESTED CARACARA was still along Swanton Road today, Sept 2. I missed it
      in the fields along Hwy 1 as I went northbound ca. 7:20 and then southbound
      11:40 a.m., but driving up Swanton from the south end I came upon other
      birders who were viewing it in a field adjacent to Scott Creek, 11:45 a.m. This
      viewpoint is 1.1 miles up from the south junction with Hwy 1, on the left. The
      road runs downhill and there is a nice pullout on the right. After a bit it
      flew off up the canyon and went as far as 1.6 road miles from Highway 1, and
      then by noon it doubled back and perched with Turkey Vultures in a willow snag
      along Scott Creek, beside the field where I first saw it, 1.1 road miles
      from Hwy 1. I left it there preening in the snag.

      David Suddjian
      Capitola CA
      dsuddjian@...
      Santa Cruz Bird Club
      Bird Records Keeper
      Bird Club Website: _www.santacruzbirdclub.org_ (http://www.santa/)

    • Chris Conard
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
        Folks,

        Kimya Lambert and I found the Caracara this morning just east of Hwy 1
        across from Scott Creek Beach. This is one mile north of Swanton Road on
        Hwy 1. We looked for over an hour in the previously described spots before
        we found the bird roosting among Turkey Vultures along the creek at 1115.
        Shortly, it flew east and over a rise to the field described in the previous
        message. Several Snowy Plovers and a few Semipalmated Plovers were on the
        beach.

        This might be a good site to look for the Caracara early in the morning,
        when it is foggy like today, or in the evening. We didn't find it again in
        a quick effort at around 1630 when there was better light for photos.

        Chris Conard
        Sacramento

        < This viewpoint [on Swanton Rd] is 1.1 miles up from the south junction