Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-billed Magpies & West Nile Virus

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      Thanks for the clarification. I had been informed in 2003 that Morgan
      Hill was as far as they got -- but they seem to be getting around, don't
      they? :-)

      Sue

    • Gary Zamzow
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
        Hi Debbie,

        That is a good observation by your friend. Might be the work of an
        Accipiter. Hope so.

        I read that there are fewer reports of dead birds in the
        Davis/Sacramento area.
        It might be because the virus has run its course, or that there are
        fewer birds left to die.

        I'm still finding Magpies in my census area, and pockets of Magpies
        elsewhere.
        I hope that these have developed an immunity to the WNV, and will be
        nesting next spring.

        I don't see large flocks of Magpies flying in and out of Davis at dawn
        and dusk like I did last year at this time.
        I'll keep counting Magpies to document a trend, which as of now, is
        down.

        Thank you Debbie, and take care.
        Gary Zamzow
        Davis, CA

        On Sep 4, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Debbie Viess wrote:

        > Hi Gary,
        >   My data at this point on WNV in Stellers is circumstantial. A gal
        > that lives close by Huckleberry Preserve in the Oakland Hills tells me
        > that jays have been abundant at her feeders. If that is still
        > currently the case, then perhaps my concern has been misguided. The
        > feather piles and carcass could have been caused by an acciipiter. I
        > will continue to monitor, and let you know if I obtain more and better
        > data; if I find an intact carcass, I will send it off.
        >
        > Debbie
        >

        > Hi Debbie,
        > Is West Nile in the Bay Area, and the Oakland Hills?
        > If it is, and there are lots of mosquitos, Steller's Jays could be
        > vulnerable.
        > Please let me//us know if you hear anything about the Steller's.
        > Take care,
        > Gary Zamzow
        > Davis, CA

        > email to these addresses:

        > Birding binoculars
        > Birding binoculars
        > Birding
        > Birding tour
        > Birding vacation
        > Subject to real estate investing
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > §          Visit your group "CALBIRDS" on the web.
        >
        > §          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >
        > §          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > Service.

      • Gary Zamzow
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hi Michelle,

          That is good news. Can use some these days.
          Would you like to document the number of Magpies that you see?
          You could just count/estimate the ones flying over, or roosting, or
          nesting in your neighborhood.
          I keep the tally on my computer.
          Here is a link for information about counting Magpies.
          http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/wildlife/projects_BBB.html

          Sacramento/Davis has been the epicenter for WNV in California this year.
          I hope that it doesn't get to your Magpies.

          Thank you and take care.
          Gary Zamzow
          Davis, CA

        • Debbie Viess
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
            CA birders,
            Sorry for the cross-posting if you are also on the EBB list. I am
            still trying to puzzle out the migrant that we saw at our window. The
            closest match that I can come up with is a Taiga Orange-crowned Warbler
            (it was solidly unmarked gray on its head, breast and back, with a white
            eye stripe.couldn't see its butt in the dark). Would this be a possible
            migrant in the area above Lake Tahoe? Thanks for any help from our
            various CA birding mavens. D.V.

            This past weekend, I was up at Echo Lake Lodge, just west of Lake Tahoe
            along Hwy. 50. I was in the company of many mushrooming friends for a
            weekend of mushroom hunting and feasting, but of course I brought my
            binoculars; from the deck of the chalet, the birds were often at eye
            level. Goshawks were our dramatic, local accipiter, and my friend
            Howard, also a mushrooming birder, saw both Blue Grouse and a Merlin.
            The Clark's Nutcracker's must be anticipating a hard winter.their crops
            were bulging grotesquely with nuts, to the point where one flying by
            almost had the profile of a folded-neck heron! The Steller's jays were
            in raucous voice, and beautiful, fresh plumage; I especially liked the
            pale electric blue streaks on their heads. Saturday night, a plain,
            little gray bird with a faint white eye-line (vireo or warbler, lousy
            light at night) appeared at the window of our main room. It had been
            migrating over, but was captivated by either the light or its own
            reflection. At any rate, we had to turn off all of our lights to get it
            to go back on its journey. After a few minutes of dark, it disappeared.
            Happy trails, little fella.

            Debbie Viess
            Oakland, CA