Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-billed Magpies & West Nile Virus

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
      other birds! :-(
      At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
      >[snipped]Hi Jim,
      >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
      >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
      >Magpies, but
      >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when they
      >post it.
      >Take care.
      >Gary Zamzow
      >Davis, CA
      >
      ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
      >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
      [snipped]

    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        On my way back from a pelagic trip on Monday, I stopped at a rest stop on
        US 101 between Camp Roberts and Paso Robles. There was a Yellow-billed
        Magpie strutting all over the parking lot. I tried to get a picture of
        it with my digicam but it took exception to that (and I was sitting
        inside my truck in the shade). It flew up into a tree, scolding me, and
        finally flew off elsewhere. One other location I've seen YBMs is Morgan
        Hill in Santa Clara County, the northernmost reach of its range; a friend
        who lives there pointed them out to me in March 2003.

        Monday's YBM looked pretty lively to me and I hope it's one of the
        resistant ones.

        Sue Jorgenson
        Anaheim CA

        On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:28:06 -0700 Jim Greaves <lbvi.man@...>
        writes:
        > Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
        > other birds! :-(

        > At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
        > >[snipped]Hi Jim,
        > >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
        > >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
        > >Magpies, but
        > >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when
        > they
        > >post it.
        > >Take care.
        > >Gary Zamzow
        > >Davis, CA
        > >

        ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http:
        //www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
        > >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
        > [snipped]

        > email to these addresses:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          Lilith,

          To set the record straight, Morgan Hill is far from the "northernmost reach" of the YBMA's range. That award goes to the Shasta Lake area in Shasta County.

          Ken Burton
          McKinleyville

          writes:
          > Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
          > other birds! :-(

          > At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
          > >[snipped]Hi Jim,
          > >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
          > >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
          > >Magpies, but
          > >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when
          > they
          > >post it.
          > >Take care.
          > >Gary Zamzow
          > >Davis, CA
          > >

          ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http:
          //www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
          > >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
          > [snipped]

          > email to these addresses:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Birding tour Birding vacation Subject to real estate investing

        • Lilith Mageborn
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            Thanks for the clarification. I had been informed in 2003 that Morgan
            Hill was as far as they got -- but they seem to be getting around, don't
            they? :-)

            Sue

          • Gary Zamzow
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
              Hi Debbie,

              That is a good observation by your friend. Might be the work of an
              Accipiter. Hope so.

              I read that there are fewer reports of dead birds in the
              Davis/Sacramento area.
              It might be because the virus has run its course, or that there are
              fewer birds left to die.

              I'm still finding Magpies in my census area, and pockets of Magpies
              elsewhere.
              I hope that these have developed an immunity to the WNV, and will be
              nesting next spring.

              I don't see large flocks of Magpies flying in and out of Davis at dawn
              and dusk like I did last year at this time.
              I'll keep counting Magpies to document a trend, which as of now, is
              down.

              Thank you Debbie, and take care.
              Gary Zamzow
              Davis, CA

              On Sep 4, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Debbie Viess wrote:

              > Hi Gary,
              >   My data at this point on WNV in Stellers is circumstantial. A gal
              > that lives close by Huckleberry Preserve in the Oakland Hills tells me
              > that jays have been abundant at her feeders. If that is still
              > currently the case, then perhaps my concern has been misguided. The
              > feather piles and carcass could have been caused by an acciipiter. I
              > will continue to monitor, and let you know if I obtain more and better
              > data; if I find an intact carcass, I will send it off.
              >
              > Debbie
              >

              > Hi Debbie,
              > Is West Nile in the Bay Area, and the Oakland Hills?
              > If it is, and there are lots of mosquitos, Steller's Jays could be
              > vulnerable.
              > Please let me//us know if you hear anything about the Steller's.
              > Take care,
              > Gary Zamzow
              > Davis, CA

              > email to these addresses:

              > Birding binoculars
              > Birding binoculars
              > Birding
              > Birding tour
              > Birding vacation
              > Subject to real estate investing
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > §          Visit your group "CALBIRDS" on the web.
              >
              > §          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >
              > §          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service.

            • Gary Zamzow
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                Hi Michelle,

                That is good news. Can use some these days.
                Would you like to document the number of Magpies that you see?
                You could just count/estimate the ones flying over, or roosting, or
                nesting in your neighborhood.
                I keep the tally on my computer.
                Here is a link for information about counting Magpies.
                http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/wildlife/projects_BBB.html

                Sacramento/Davis has been the epicenter for WNV in California this year.
                I hope that it doesn't get to your Magpies.

                Thank you and take care.
                Gary Zamzow
                Davis, CA

              • Debbie Viess
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                  CA birders,
                  Sorry for the cross-posting if you are also on the EBB list. I am
                  still trying to puzzle out the migrant that we saw at our window. The
                  closest match that I can come up with is a Taiga Orange-crowned Warbler
                  (it was solidly unmarked gray on its head, breast and back, with a white
                  eye stripe.couldn't see its butt in the dark). Would this be a possible
                  migrant in the area above Lake Tahoe? Thanks for any help from our
                  various CA birding mavens. D.V.

                  This past weekend, I was up at Echo Lake Lodge, just west of Lake Tahoe
                  along Hwy. 50. I was in the company of many mushrooming friends for a
                  weekend of mushroom hunting and feasting, but of course I brought my
                  binoculars; from the deck of the chalet, the birds were often at eye
                  level. Goshawks were our dramatic, local accipiter, and my friend
                  Howard, also a mushrooming birder, saw both Blue Grouse and a Merlin.
                  The Clark's Nutcracker's must be anticipating a hard winter.their crops
                  were bulging grotesquely with nuts, to the point where one flying by
                  almost had the profile of a folded-neck heron! The Steller's jays were
                  in raucous voice, and beautiful, fresh plumage; I especially liked the
                  pale electric blue streaks on their heads. Saturday night, a plain,
                  little gray bird with a faint white eye-line (vireo or warbler, lousy
                  light at night) appeared at the window of our main room. It had been
                  migrating over, but was captivated by either the light or its own
                  reflection. At any rate, we had to turn off all of our lights to get it
                  to go back on its journey. After a few minutes of dark, it disappeared.
                  Happy trails, little fella.

                  Debbie Viess
                  Oakland, CA