Re: Magpies and West Nile Virus

  • Paul S. Highland
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Wow, sounds as if Sacramento is being hit pretty hard by WNV. Here in San Luis Obispo County, there
      have been reports of several horses being infected, but I haven't heard anything about birds yet.
      We do have yellow-billed magpies around here, and I'd love to be able to do counts, but I don't have
      time and I'd have to go to the outskirts of Atascadero to observe them. Hopefully enough of them
      will prove resistant to the virus to insure that the population will be maintained at a level that
      can recover. Ever since I was young I've always liked our unique species of magpie, and I hope
      they'll be around for a long time.

      === Paul H! in AtasCal