Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-billed Magpies & West Nile Virus

  • Gary Zamzow
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Debbie, Kay, and others in Alameda County,

      Here is a link for reporting dead birds in Alameda County, and other
      information
      about WNV in Alameda County.

      http://www.acgov.org/PublicHealth/wnv/

      I don't know if they want to test the dead birds for WNV.
      I hope that the Jay's don't get hit too hard.

      Take care.
      Gary Zamzow
      Davis, CA

      On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Debbie Viess wrote:

      > Hi Gary,
      > �� There is one park that I go to frequently, and have done so for
      > over 20 years. Stellar�s jays were a constant presense�mobbing and
      > teasing with their calls. Two weeks ago, I saw two Stellars�
      > carcasses/ feather piles in Huckleberry Preserve. There is a fairly
      > stagnant creek at the bottom of the canyon, and high mosquito
      > potential in the Stellars habitat. I am also seeing groupings with far
      > fewer individuals, also, some of the scrub jays are moving into former
      > Stellars� areas. I will keep you posted.
      > �
      > Debbie
      > �
      >
      > Hi Debbie,
      > Is West Nile in the Bay Area, and the Oakland Hills?
      > If it is, and there are lots of mosquitos, Steller's Jays could be
      > vulnerable.
      > Please let me//us know if you hear anything about the Steller's.
      > Take care,
      > Gary Zamzow
      > Davis, CA

    • Debbie Viess
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        For the most current info on WNV, go to this website: www.
        <http://www.westnile.ca.gov/> westnile.ca.gov/. The news is not good for
        our California birds. Humans are the least susceptible to the virus,
        amongst the various affected animal groups. Birds are at the top of the
        list, then horses (which can actually be vaccinated for the virus), then
        humans. It is rarely fatal in humans, and most human exposures cause no
        symptoms. It is deadly in birds and horses.

        WNV has been confirmed in all the counties of CA; when you see a record
        of a human case, you can be sure that the local birds are dying in
        droves. Pray that there is a sufficient reservoir of genetically
        resistant individuals to repopulate.

        Debbie Viess
        Oakland,CA

        Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, August 13, 2005
        Story appeared on Page A1 of The Bee
        Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign
        up here.
        As West Nile virus has moved into Sacramento County with a vengeance,
        it has killed thousands of birds and left wildlife experts worried
        about the survival of one of Northern California's more striking and
        clever birds: the yellow-billed magpie.

        Sacramento County has not only the highest number of confirmed human
        cases of West Nile in the state, but also far and away the highest
        number of birds that have died from the disease.

        According to figures released Friday by the state Department of
        Health Services, the number of reported dead birds in Sacramento County
        was 12,198 so far in 2005, representing 17.6 percent of the total
        69,203 dead bird reports for the state's 58 counties.

        Although not all the birds have been tested - state scientists stop
        testing once they've established West Nile has invaded an area - the
        state's top West Nile experts said there is no question the high dead
        bird counts stem from the disease.

        The actual numbers could easily be 10 times as high as those reported
        because many people do not report dead birds, said Stan Husted,
        supervising public health biologist for the state Department of Health
        Services.

        "It's all happening very fast," Husted said.

        Sacramento County's tally of confirmed human cases of West Nile
        remained at 36. Statewide that number rose from the 118 reported
        Tuesday to 174 Friday, with four people reported dead this year from
        the disease.

        The emerging concerns about birds came as mosquito control experts
        prepared for a second night of aerial spraying in southern Sacramento
        County. They also announced that infected mosquito counts were rising
        in Yolo County and may require insecticide treatments in populated
        areas in future days - most likely with ground rigs on city streets.

        "I don't think we're going to have to do aerial applications over the
        cities of Davis and Woodland," said Dave Brown, manager of the
        Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District. "We believe we
        can handle them with ground-based units."

        The district is doing the treatments to stop the spread of West Nile,
        which is passed by infected mosquitoes.

        As the new numbers rolled out late Friday afternoon, officials of the
        mosquito control district were keeping an eye on the weather. Plans to
        spray 66,000 acres south of the American River were thwarted on Friday
        night. Planes were grounded after Delta winds picked up.

        Sacramento County is not the only hot spot.

        This summer, the mosquito control district has been using ground rigs
        to control mosquitoes in cemeteries and parks in various Yolo County
        locations, as well as the fairgrounds in Woodland. Agricultural areas
        of Yolo County have been receiving regular aerial sprayings, as they do
        every year, Brown said.

        As of Friday morning, the district had spent about $400,000 on plane
        and materials costs for four nights of spraying. The district has about
        $1 million in reserves to cover all spraying costs.

        Brown said traps in the northern areas of Sacramento County showed kill
        rates of between 40 percent and 80 percent, depending on the location,
        after three nights of aerial spraying.

        For many people, their first and only encounter with West Nile comes
        when they stumble upon a bird that has succumbed to the aggressive
        disease.

        A dead jay in a flower bed. A dead crow on the bike trail. A dead
        magpie lying in the street.

        The images have been haunting Sacramentans, and have provided a
        sobering record of the rapid spread of West Nile.

        Bobbi Larsen, a retiree living near Fair Oaks Boulevard and San Juan
        Avenue, is among many who have discovered birds wobbling on the ground,
        or already dead.

        "In one week's time, we've had 13 dead magpies on a tiny little section
        of our street," Larsen said. "I had a scrub jay who came every day at
        lunchtime and squawked for joy in the birdbath. Now he's gone."

        Dawn Austin, a painting contractor who lives near Orangevale, said she
        buried one bird after another this week under an oak tree on her small
        acreage. Most were jays and magpies.

        "I used to fill my bird feeder every day," Austin said. "Now, it's
        every four days or so."

        Many have mistakenly concluded the birds are dying from the aerial
        spraying.

        "It's not the spray. It's the virus," said Vicki Kramer, chief of the
        state health department's Vector Borne Disease Program.

        Birds play a critical role in the spread of West Nile virus. Birds are
        a favorite target of mosquitoes. When bitten by infected mosquitoes,
        birds can become "reservoirs" for the virus, passing it along to
        uninfected mosquitoes that bite them. Mosquitoes, in turn, infect
        people, horses and other animals; bird-to-human transmissions do not
        occur.

        Some species of birds are more vulnerable than others. The "corvid"
        family - which includes crows, jays, magpies and ravens - is
        particularly susceptible. Nearly 100 percent of infected crows die,
        usually in about five days, with the other corvid types not far behind,
        Husted said.

        Wildlife experts are especially worried about the yellow-billed magpie,
        said Dr. Holly Ernest, a wildlife veterinarian who directs the Wildlife
        Genetics Lab at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

        One clue the bird is in danger is that the black-billed magpie, which
        lives throughout western North America (except in areas populated by
        the yellow-billed) has been hit hard by West Nile.

        The yellow-billed magpie is not listed as a threatened species. But
        because it is endemic to California, meaning it lives nowhere else, a
        large kill-off could place the bird at risk of survival, Ernest said.
        She is involved in several research projects to monitor the disease's
        impact on the local magpie, including counts being conducted by
        volunteers from Davis as they ride their bicycles.

        A wide range of other birds such as finches, robins, quail, mourning
        doves and certain parakeets also can become infected with West Nile.
        They survive or die at varying rates, depending on the type of bird,
        said Nicholas Komar, research biologist for the Centers for Disease
        Control and Prevention in Fort Collins, Colo.

        Birds remain infectious for several days. Those that become infected
        but survive become immune for life and can pass that immunity to their
        offspring, Komar said. Eventually, the disease will run its course, he
        added, but based on other areas of the country, it could take several
        years. In New York, bird deaths have been a regular summer ritual since
        West Nile first hit in 1999.

        The disease attacks most of the major organs and neurological systems,
        leaving birds staggering and unable to move in the final stages.
        Gauging pain levels in birds is difficult, but researchers said birds
        with West Nile almost certainly suffer. The only way to stop birds from
        becoming infected is to reduce infected mosquito populations, Husted
        said.

        The dead bird reports were a major clue to local officials that the
        disease was spiraling and aerial spraying was needed. "That was one of
        the triggers that told us we had a problem," Brown said.

        For now, he said, the district is concentrating on fully covering
        66,000 acres targeted in southern Sacramento County, mostly with aerial
        spraying, supplemented with ground crews. If winds prevent spraying,
        the schedule may be stretched out over Sunday evening and beyond.

        In the light dosage being applied, the insecticide is considered safe
        for people and animals. People are advised to stay inside between 8:30
        p.m. and midnight.

        About the writer:

        The Bee's Deb Kollars can be reached at (916) 321-1090 or
        dkollars@....

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses:

        Birding
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Birding+binoculars&w1=Birding+binoc
        ulars&w2=Birding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=Birding+vacati
        on&w6=Subject+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=dx8Bx--Nxj6PnRYtIw
        _1IA> binoculars
        Birding
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Birding+binoculars&w1=Birding+binoc
        ulars&w2=Birding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=Birding+vacati
        on&w6=Subject+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=dx8Bx--Nxj6PnRYtIw
        _1IA> binoculars
        Birding
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Birding&w1=Birding+binoculars&w2=Bi
        rding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=Birding+vacation&w6=Subje
        ct+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=vdRnwxX9akWe4YS6kL2beg>

        Birding
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Birding+tour&w1=Birding+binoculars&
        w2=Birding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=Birding+vacation&w6=
        Subject+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=Td-Gq7uvrz3NVa4M87EDhQ>
        tour
        Birding
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Birding+vacation&w1=Birding+binocul
        ars&w2=Birding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=Birding+vacation
        &w6=Subject+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=fvlLPJJQ6POFcZ-5w1fZ
        jQ> vacation
        Subject
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Subject+to+real+estate+investing&w1
        =Birding+binoculars&w2=Birding+binoculars&w3=Birding&w4=Birding+tour&w5=
        Birding+vacation&w6=Subject+to+real+estate+investing&c=6&s=139&.sig=uKce
        zymH0Co4M3DOP4vyLA> to real estate investing

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "CALBIRDS
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS> " on the web.

        _____

      • Jim Greaves
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
          other birds! :-(
          At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
          >[snipped]Hi Jim,
          >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
          >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
          >Magpies, but
          >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when they
          >post it.
          >Take care.
          >Gary Zamzow
          >Davis, CA
          >
          ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
          >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
          [snipped]

        • Lilith Mageborn
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            On my way back from a pelagic trip on Monday, I stopped at a rest stop on
            US 101 between Camp Roberts and Paso Robles. There was a Yellow-billed
            Magpie strutting all over the parking lot. I tried to get a picture of
            it with my digicam but it took exception to that (and I was sitting
            inside my truck in the shade). It flew up into a tree, scolding me, and
            finally flew off elsewhere. One other location I've seen YBMs is Morgan
            Hill in Santa Clara County, the northernmost reach of its range; a friend
            who lives there pointed them out to me in March 2003.

            Monday's YBM looked pretty lively to me and I hope it's one of the
            resistant ones.

            Sue Jorgenson
            Anaheim CA

            On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:28:06 -0700 Jim Greaves <lbvi.man@...>
            writes:
            > Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
            > other birds! :-(

            > At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
            > >[snipped]Hi Jim,
            > >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
            > >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
            > >Magpies, but
            > >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when
            > they
            > >post it.
            > >Take care.
            > >Gary Zamzow
            > >Davis, CA
            > >

            ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http:
            //www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
            > >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
            > [snipped]

            > email to these addresses:
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ken Burton
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
              Lilith,

              To set the record straight, Morgan Hill is far from the "northernmost reach" of the YBMA's range. That award goes to the Shasta Lake area in Shasta County.

              Ken Burton
              McKinleyville

              writes:
              > Thanks. Wish it weren't true ... for the sake of the magpies and
              > other birds! :-(

              > At 10:03 PM 8/31/2005, Gary Zamzow wrote:
              > >[snipped]Hi Jim,
              > >Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee.
              > >The Davis Enterprise had an article today about the Yellow-billed
              > >Magpies, but
              > >it has not been posted on their web-site yet. I'll post it when
              > they
              > >post it.
              > >Take care.
              > >Gary Zamzow
              > >Davis, CA
              > >

              ><http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html>http:
              //www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13405270p-14246595c.html
              > >W. Nile's toll on birds is soaring
              > [snipped]

              > email to these addresses:
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Birding tour Birding vacation Subject to real estate investing

            • Lilith Mageborn
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                Thanks for the clarification. I had been informed in 2003 that Morgan
                Hill was as far as they got -- but they seem to be getting around, don't
                they? :-)

                Sue

              • Gary Zamzow
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
                  Hi Debbie,

                  That is a good observation by your friend. Might be the work of an
                  Accipiter. Hope so.

                  I read that there are fewer reports of dead birds in the
                  Davis/Sacramento area.
                  It might be because the virus has run its course, or that there are
                  fewer birds left to die.

                  I'm still finding Magpies in my census area, and pockets of Magpies
                  elsewhere.
                  I hope that these have developed an immunity to the WNV, and will be
                  nesting next spring.

                  I don't see large flocks of Magpies flying in and out of Davis at dawn
                  and dusk like I did last year at this time.
                  I'll keep counting Magpies to document a trend, which as of now, is
                  down.

                  Thank you Debbie, and take care.
                  Gary Zamzow
                  Davis, CA

                  On Sep 4, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Debbie Viess wrote:

                  > Hi Gary,
                  >   My data at this point on WNV in Stellers is circumstantial. A gal
                  > that lives close by Huckleberry Preserve in the Oakland Hills tells me
                  > that jays have been abundant at her feeders. If that is still
                  > currently the case, then perhaps my concern has been misguided. The
                  > feather piles and carcass could have been caused by an acciipiter. I
                  > will continue to monitor, and let you know if I obtain more and better
                  > data; if I find an intact carcass, I will send it off.
                  >
                  > Debbie
                  >

                  > Hi Debbie,
                  > Is West Nile in the Bay Area, and the Oakland Hills?
                  > If it is, and there are lots of mosquitos, Steller's Jays could be
                  > vulnerable.
                  > Please let me//us know if you hear anything about the Steller's.
                  > Take care,
                  > Gary Zamzow
                  > Davis, CA

                  > email to these addresses:

                  > Birding binoculars
                  > Birding binoculars
                  > Birding
                  > Birding tour
                  > Birding vacation
                  > Subject to real estate investing
                  >

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > §          Visit your group "CALBIRDS" on the web.
                  >
                  > §          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >
                  > §          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  > Service.

                • Gary Zamzow
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                    Hi Michelle,

                    That is good news. Can use some these days.
                    Would you like to document the number of Magpies that you see?
                    You could just count/estimate the ones flying over, or roosting, or
                    nesting in your neighborhood.
                    I keep the tally on my computer.
                    Here is a link for information about counting Magpies.
                    http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/wildlife/projects_BBB.html

                    Sacramento/Davis has been the epicenter for WNV in California this year.
                    I hope that it doesn't get to your Magpies.

                    Thank you and take care.
                    Gary Zamzow
                    Davis, CA

                  • Debbie Viess
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                      CA birders,
                      Sorry for the cross-posting if you are also on the EBB list. I am
                      still trying to puzzle out the migrant that we saw at our window. The
                      closest match that I can come up with is a Taiga Orange-crowned Warbler
                      (it was solidly unmarked gray on its head, breast and back, with a white
                      eye stripe.couldn't see its butt in the dark). Would this be a possible
                      migrant in the area above Lake Tahoe? Thanks for any help from our
                      various CA birding mavens. D.V.

                      This past weekend, I was up at Echo Lake Lodge, just west of Lake Tahoe
                      along Hwy. 50. I was in the company of many mushrooming friends for a
                      weekend of mushroom hunting and feasting, but of course I brought my
                      binoculars; from the deck of the chalet, the birds were often at eye
                      level. Goshawks were our dramatic, local accipiter, and my friend
                      Howard, also a mushrooming birder, saw both Blue Grouse and a Merlin.
                      The Clark's Nutcracker's must be anticipating a hard winter.their crops
                      were bulging grotesquely with nuts, to the point where one flying by
                      almost had the profile of a folded-neck heron! The Steller's jays were
                      in raucous voice, and beautiful, fresh plumage; I especially liked the
                      pale electric blue streaks on their heads. Saturday night, a plain,
                      little gray bird with a faint white eye-line (vireo or warbler, lousy
                      light at night) appeared at the window of our main room. It had been
                      migrating over, but was captivated by either the light or its own
                      reflection. At any rate, we had to turn off all of our lights to get it
                      to go back on its journey. After a few minutes of dark, it disappeared.
                      Happy trails, little fella.

                      Debbie Viess
                      Oakland, CA