Crested Caracara continues

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2005
      The CRESTED CARACARA is still present near Davenport in Santa Cruz
      County. Directions at: http://santacruzbirdingguide.org/North%20coast.htm

      Here are a couple of posts to the Monterey Bay Birds listserv from Aug. 24:

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe
      Soquel, CA

      Hi!
      Today at 9:30am, after about 1 hour of searching, Janna Pauser and I
      found the Crested Caracara across from the Call Box on HW1 just North of
      Swanton Road. It was about 50' away and was shuffling around in the dry
      grass field like a Turkey (according to Janna). As it shuffled around
      it pecked in the dirt for at least 20 minutes total (split between this
      viewing and another 10:30am viewing in the same spot), we wondered what
      it could have been eating. Perhaps worms, or grit? Is this behavior
      common? The bird no longer has a central pink chest spot which
      indicates that it may be thinning down after the pig feast last week.
      Perhaps it will leave soon. Take care!
      Jean Myers

      I drove out to Davenport this morning, to check up on the caracara,
      arriving at about 11 AM . I bypassed the Swanton Rd.
      exit and continued on to the plowed field north of and adjacent to the
      strawberry farm. --And there it was, right in the middle, sticking out
      like a sore thumb (forgive the simile!) and not a birder in sight! It
      was actually crouching/resting in a manner conjectured earlier by Dan
      Singer. After awhile it rose up and flew off landing on a lone fence
      post in the shrubs north of the field, next to the highway. Cautiously,
      I approached and took more photos. After a Mack truck rattled noisily
      by it took off again and headed over the hill toward Scott Creek. A few
      minutes later I found it there perched on one of three large posts in a
      field on the north side of the creek. I scoped it for about 20 minutes
      before leaving at about noon. I've posted four new photos at <
      http://www.pbase.com/jpkln/caracaras >.

      Jeff Poklen