Birds at Pfeiffer Big Sur SP

  • Paul S. Highland
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 8:04 AM
      We camped two nights at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park beginning on Thurs 18 August. As with our
      previous trip, a number of species were identified by ear; here is what I came up with...

      In the campground area along the Big Sur River (redwoods, laurels, sycamores, etc.):

      * Acorn woodpecker
      * Downy woodpecker
      * Hairy woodpecker
      * Northern (red-shafted) flicker
      * American crow
      * Steller's jay
      * Dark-eyed (Oregon) junco
      * Chestnut-backed chickadee
      * Brown creeper

      In the oak and chaparral areas:

      * Scrub jay
      * Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee
      * Wrentit
      * Anna's hummingbird (female)
      * Empidonax flycatcher (unidentified)

      Rodents:

      * Western gray squirrel
      * California ground squirrel
      * Chipmunk (unidentified)

      The tanoaks in the area are being hit very hard by sudden oak death. Most are either dead or dying;
      only a few appeared to be uninfected. There are a few dead coast live oaks, but nearly all of them
      are larger older individuals and are scattered here and there rather than localized.

      === Paul H! in AtasCal