RE: Great Gray Owl comments

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi Bev
      Yes Fresno County , Sierra National Forest. My mistake.
      Be a great find in Sierra County too.
      One of the Great Grey Owl skins in the MVZ is a GGO collected in Shasta
      County 1917.
      Thank you for the editing - Kathy e mailed me on the error also.
      The Biologist Carla Cicero indicated that she that worked Boy Scout
      Camp/Dinky Creek area studying Jays.
      She indicated that there are Spotted Owls in the "area".
      I did notice that the meadow areas were very damp, areas had standing
      water and full of wild flowers yet(late?).
      So this past winter was very wet, maybe that effected the GGO prey base
      volume so no nesting success.
      Did the SE biologist comment on food source or ecological balance of
      habitat out of balance due to El Nino?
      Well maybe next year we'll get lucky.
      In pasting it was very cool here today; how was it over by you?
      Hope to meet you birding some day.
      Again thanks for your mail and correction.
      Regards
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton, Ca 94566