Monterey Aug 12, 04 pelagic: STAL!

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2005
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Monterey Bay today was a knock out!
      About 9:30 am, Jennifer Green and Jeri Langham simultaneously spotted a
      sub-adult SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS sitting on the water, 10 o'clock from the
      boat. We approached the bird slowly, allowing everyone on board to get great
      views. It flew off a short distance, and sat on the water again. Mostly, it
      sat around our boat for the better part of 45 minutes, eating anchovies that
      our captain, Tinker threw to it. The albatross swam to within 5 feet of our
      boat. Many, many photos were taken. It had a large, bright pink bill, tipped
      in blue, dark overall, with some dirty white feathers around the top of the
      bill, and symetrical pale whitish patches in the wings. The body was overall
      dark, ventrally and dorsally. Jennifer noticed a silver band on the right
      leg, and Don Doolittle has a photo which confirms this. Images were obtained
      showing the Short-tailed Albatross and a Black-footed Albatross in the same
      frame, and other species as well. It was a darn exciting event! Sea
      conditions were perfect with uniformly high overcast skies, less than a one
      foot swell, Beaufort 0-.5. The albatross was about 5 miles offshore at:
      3639.3/12203.3. The sea surface temperature was 57.2F, and ranged up to
      61.2F.

      Our trip began unusually, as Don Doolittle spotted an ANCIENT MURRELET in
      the harbor. Then, he spotted a female HARLEQUIN DUCK. We headed out to Point
      Pinos, stopping for the PIGEON GUILLEMOTS, COMMON MURRES, RED-NECKED
      PHALAROPES, and ELEGANT TERNS. Many of the typical fall seabirds were
      encountered (see list below), but, oddly no jaegers or Buller's Shearwaters
      were found.

      The cetacean show was fantasitic with HUMPBACK WHALES, PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED
      DOLPHINS, NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS, RISSO'S DOLPHINS, AND DALL'S
      PORPOISES. A LEATHERBACK SEA TURTLE made a brief appearance.

      The leaders for this highly successful trip were: Jennifer Green, Don
      Doolittle, & Debra Shearwater.

      Our next trips from Monterey are: August 21 & 29; September 4, 10, 12, 23,
      24, & 30; October 2, 7, 8, 11, 16, & 21. Our offshore trips from Monterey to
      the albacore grounds are Sep. 11, and Oct 1 & 9.

      To make a reservation for the any remaining August trips, please contact
      Jennifer Green at 831-479-3521 before 9 pm. For all remaining trips,
      beginning with September 4th, please send payment for your trip to Debra
      Shearwater, PO Box 190, Holllister, CA 95024. Debra will be out of
      phone/email contact until August 31. We also have trips from Bodega Bay and
      Fort Bragg. See our complete program of trips on our web site. The August
      27th trip from Fort Bragg is SOLD OUT.

      The trip list for the August 12, 2005 pelagic trip from Monterey Bay
      follows:

      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-22
      *SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS-1
      NORTHERN FULMAR-2