Sierra County -Great Grey Owl feather

  • quail442003
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2005
      On Saturday/Sunday August7th Kathy Robertson and I searched
      for the Shaver Lake/ Dingy creek / Boy Scout Meadows
      Great Grey Owl which was present 2004.
      It was a visual no show.
      But as we walked the meadow boarder Sunday AM I found a feather.
      It was recently dropped,it laid on top of the due which covered the
      meadow next to some fallen dead pines.
      The feather is fresh in appearance.
      This week I took some time from work and visited U of C Berkeley were
      I was able to match the feather to other
      Great Grey Owls skins held in U of Berkeley Museum of Zoology.
      Carla Ciciro was my host and was very helpful, as well very deligent
      she pulled Great Horn and Spotted Owl skins to do the comparison
      The conclusion, by Carla Cicero staff Biologist is the feather is the
      a back feather from a Great Grey Owl.
      We did see or hear the Great Grey Owl.
      However the owl was present at some point during the post dawn period
      B4 11 AM, which is the time we a found the feather.
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton, Ca.