Cameron Valley/La Posta

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2005
      Hi, all!

      Took visiting birder Rob from Rhode Island with me to do an EBR out by La
      Posta, and he was a very happy camper as we managed to actually SEE several
      birds that were lifers for him; highlights included several Sage Sparrows in
      Cameron Valley, very cooperative California Thrasher families, three Barn Owls
      flushed from an oak woodland, and scruffy California Quail families. Along La
      Posta Road we finally got views of Wrentits, and a couple of Western Tanagers
      were a surprise (heading down from the mountains already, I guess...)

      Today's excursion game me six months' worth of data for Cameron Valley, so I
      went ahead and posted a page for the area on my website at
      _http://www.miriameaglemon.com/San%20Diego%20Bird%20Pages/Sites/Cameron%20Valley.htm_
      (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/San%20Diego%20Bird%20Pages/Sites/Cameron%20Valley.htm)
      (or click below and go to San Diego Birding Pages). The complete day's list
      is below.

      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Barn Owl Tyto alba
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Western Tanager Piranga ludoviciana
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Sage Sparrow Amphispiza belli
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

      46 SPECIES