RE: [CALBIRDS] Re: [CVBirds] Cosumnes birds- 05 VIII 05

  • Lidia Seebeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2005
      Sampling error is possible.  However Black-billed Magpies (BBMA) have not fared well in the face of West Nile Virus. As a basically unscientific but very stable census, the number of birds my  mother (in Golden CO) now feeds has dropped from a very stable number of about two dozen throughout the eighties and nineties to about four. As BBMA and TBMA are so closely related, it is likely that the YBMA would be having problems as well. I should note on a recent trip that took me through Utah, Colorado, and western Kansas, I observed far fewer BBMA over the entire area.

      I think a careful eye on the situation is a good idea.

      Lidia Seebeck, daughter of Audrey Hess
      Riverside CA
      Formerly of El Paso county and Jefferson county CO

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2005
        Corivds appear to be most susceptible to West Nile (see the article by
        Komar N, Experimental infection of North American birds with the New York
        1999 strain of West Nile virus. Emerg Inf Dis 2003; 9:311). I believe all
        the black-billed magpies in his study that got West Nile died but his sample
        was also very small.

        Some species appear not to become symptomatic after exposure.

        Jim Holmes
        Sacramento, CA

        Could be sampling error, as Magpies as exceptionally large and obvious, the
        other birds might just go unnoticed.

        On Aug 8, 2005, at 6:58 PM, John Sterling wrote:

        > A colleague of mine told me that his daughter found up many dead
        > magpies near her school a few weeks ago...this is along the American
        > River in the Sacramento area.....
        >

        > John Sterling
        >
        > 26 Palm Ave
        > Woodland, CA 95695