Red-breasted Sapsucker hybrid identification/ Yosemite Trip

  • Will Chatfield-Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Yesterday, at Crane Flats Meadow, in Yosemite NP, I had a probable
      Red-breasted Sapsucker, however, the red was rather pale and washed out
      on the breast and head, though there was no black on the chest. My
      question is whether or not this is within the range of a normal
      Red-breasted Sapsucker, and does anyone have experience with a hybrid
      RBSS that did NOT have black on the breast?

      Other highlights thus far:

      Western Tanager: Bridal Veil Falls
      Blue Grouse: 10 at Glacier Point parking lot
      Williamson's Sapsucker: White Wolf
      Violet-green Swallows: top of Yosemite Falls
      Black Swift: Top of Yosemite falls
      Peregrine Falcon: Top of Yosemite Falls
      Pine Grosbeak: the road to May Lake.

      The Black Swift and VGSW are proabably the most well earned life birds
      I've ever had! Hiking up all the way to the top of the falls and then
      seeing those birds was supremely rewarding!

      Great birding!

      Will Chatfield-Taylor

      San Ramon, CA

      willc-t@...