magpie - thanks! and shorebirds

  • Charlie
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2005
      Hi folks,

      Thanks to the 27 (!) people who replied to my RFI on such short
      notice.

      Nearly everyone told me that a prime location for Yellow-billed
      Magpie was the area around Solvang, so that is where we went. We
      found a flock of about 15 on Happy Canyon Road, which is off Armour
      Ranch Road, off of route 154. We also found them at the golf course
      south of Solvang and saw a few other individuals in random spots in
      the area as we drove.

      Thanks so much to all of you.

      On the way back we stopped at a Gaviota beach and found shorebirds:
      4 Willet
      1 Long-billed Curlew (had an old, apparently healed injury to right
      leg)
      3 Whimbrel (so nice to see these 3 species together!)
      25 Least Sandpipers
      1 Solitary Sandpiper
      8 Western Sandpipers
      4 Greater Yellowlegs (But we could not turn one into lesser)

      If you're ever in the Smokies, and would like help, let me know. I
      run 2 banding stations and 4 BBS routes there, so I can find some
      birds for you.

      Charlie

      Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
      Great Smoky Mountains National Park

      "To the dull mind all nature is leaden. To the illuminated mind
      the whole world sparkles with light." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs