SHOREBIRDS -- new listserve for worldwide shorebirds

  • Kris Olson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hello all,

      While visiting Georgia in July, I ran across this brand new list serve,
      Shorebirds, co-founded by Steve Holzman, who used to live in California.
      If you are interested, here is information about subscribing and posting.

      -- Kris Olson, Menlo Park, CA

      PURPOSE OF THE SHOREBIRDS LIST:

      The focus of this listserv is to create a worldwide forum for
      reporting the observation of seasonal migration in differing areas,
      discovery of rarities, discussion of identification problems, and for
      promotion of knowledge of conservation issues concerning shorebirds.

      For your information we have provided a list of frequently asked
      questions. Please look them over in order to familiarize yourself
      with this list's policies and procedures.

      Q: What is SHOREBIRDS?
      Shorebirds (or Waders, if you prefer) are a unique and fascinating
      group of birds, because of their wide ranges throughout the world,
      and some of the most impressive migrations of all birds, flying from
      the Arctic tundra all the way to southern South America, Africa and
      Australia and back again, with vagrant species turning up in many
      unexpected locations. They can be confoundingly difficult to
      identify, with many similar species and overlapping characteristics.
      And due to habitat loss of wetlands in breeding, migration stopover
      and wintering grounds, many species are facing severe ecological
      pressures and population losses. The focus of this listserve is to
      create a worldwide forum for reporting the observation of seasonal
      migration in differing areas, discovery of rarities, discussion of
      identification problems, and for promotion of knowledge of
      conservation issues concerning shorebirds.
      As with other lists, please keep posts on the topic of shorebirds.
      Off topic posts, such as general politics, flaming, etc, are not
      allowed.

      Q: How do I post a message to the list?
      Send messages to this address, just as you would any other e-mail:
      shorebirds@...
      You may wish to add it to your address book.

      Q: How do I respond to a message on SHOREBIRDS?
      SHOREBIRDS is set up to send your response only to the original
      poster when you click on the "reply" button in your e-mail client. If
      you wish to respond to the entire list, you must use your "reply all"
      button or its equivalent.

      Q: Can I post right away?
      In an attempt to foil certain spammers who join lists merely to send
      mass mailings, new subscribers are automatically set to "Review"
      status. This means their initial post will come to an owner for
      verification before it goes out to the entire list. At that time,
      legitimate subscribers will have their status changed to "No Review."

      Q: Is there a special format for posts?
      Posts should have an informative subject line and should always
      include a signature with the poster's full name and geographic
      location. Please also use, at least once, the full name of any birds
      you mention; this will make searching the archives more productive
      for all. Post in plain text only - turn html and rich text formatting
      OFF in your e-mail client. And please turn word-wrap ON; this makes
      it much easier to read your messages in the archives. Techniques for
      setting these options vary among different software programs, but are
      typically found under such toolbar headings as "preferences" or
      "tools."

      Q: How will I receive SHOREBIRDS posts?
      You may choose among several subscription types. With "Traditional"
      you will receive, in your mailbox, all messages posted to the list
      each day. This is the default format for all new subscribers. With
      "Digest" you will receive a single consolidated message compilation
      once each day. With "Index" you will receive a single message each
      day indexing that day's posts; you may then follow the links to any
      messages you wish to read in detail.

      Q: How do I change my subscription options?
      There are two ways to manage your account, via direct commands sent
      to the listserv server, and interactively in real time on the server
      itself.
      1. Direct command - This method requires that you know specific
      commands and their formats. To obtain a list of commands send an
      e-mail message to listserv@... with the words INFO
      REFCARD in the body of the message.
      2. Interactively - This method, the easiest, requires that you first
      acquire a listserv password. This can be done easily and need only be
      done once. Simply register your choice at this URL:
      http://www.listserv.uga.edu/ Your password will be good on any of
      the thousands of listserv lists that you choose to subscribe to. With
      your password, you can make changes to your account at this URL:
      http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/shorebirds.html Click on "Join
      or leave the list (or change settings)".

      Q: What if I need to stop mail for a while?
      Using one of the methods described above, you can set your account to
      "NOMAIL" for as long as you like. This will not affect your
      subscription, and you can set it back to "MAIL" whenever you choose.
      (The direct command for this is "set SHOREBIRDS nomail" in the body
      of the message and without the quotes, and it should be sent to
      listserv@... rather than to the list itself.)

      Q: What if I change my e-mail address?
      See above directions for interactive account management to change
      your address. Or you can unsubscribe using the old e-mail address and
      subscribe using the new, just as you did when you joined the list
      initially. (To unsubscribe send this message (in the body of the
      message and without the quotes): "unsubscribe SHOREBIRDS" to
      listserv@...

      Q: What are appropriate topics for discussion?
      The focus of this listserv is to create a worldwide forum for
      reporting the observation of seasonal migration in differing areas,
      discovery of rarities, discussion of identification problems, and for
      promotion of knowledge of conservation issues concerning shorebirds.

      Q: Are some topics not permitted?
      Yes. Off topic posts, such as general politics, flaming, etc, are not
      allowed. Since this list is specific to SHOREBIRDS, please avoid
      topics concerning other groups of birds. There are many other lists
      for other birds and/or general bird sightings

      Q: Are there size limitations to posts?
      Messages are limited to 200 lines each.

      Q: Are attachments allowed?
      No. Attachments are a prime source of viruses and are not permitted
      on SHOREBIRDS. If you wish to share photos with the list, please post
      them to your own or a photo-share web site, and send a message to
      SHOREBIRDS that includes a link to the site.

      Q: Can I post as often as I like?
      There are currently no limits to the number of posts an individual
      can make, but please keep in mind that each of your messages goes to
      several hundred subscribers and that everyone suffers from a glut of
      e-mail these days and be considerate and thoughtful in the number and
      content of your messages.

      Q: Are commercial posts permitted?
      No commercial posts in which the poster has an interest are allowed,
      but the title of your business or occupation may be included in your
      signature. On occasion, special exemptions may be made but they MUST
      be cleared with a list owner first (should we add this or not? I'm
      not sure).

      Q: May I include a signature quote?
      There is currently no prohibition on this popular practice, but
      please avoid incendiary and potentially controversial or offensive
      topics, such as religion and politics.

      Q: How do I search the archives?
      Follow the "Search the archives" link at this URL:
      http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/shorebirds.html

      Q: What is the history of SHOREBIRDS?
      In July 2005, R.D. Wallace saw a need for a listserv specific to
      shorebirds. Steve Holzman arranged for hosting on the University of
      Georgia LISTSERV servers, and Sara Schweitzer agreed to be the
      University sponsor

      Q: What if I have additional questions or concerns?
      Contact the listowner R.D. Wallace at chnuts AT msn.com or for
      technical issues Steve Holzman steve_holzman AT yahoo.com

      Q: How do I contact a listowner?
      Send a message to SHOREBIRDS-request@...

      This FAQ was created by Marion Dobbs for use by Georgia Birders
      Online. It was modified with her permission by Steve Holzman.