Demoiselle crane still there

  • vladimir@hotcity.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      Dear All,
      I saw the crane today (Nov. 8) at 4 pm off Staten Island Rd., in a
      field west from the road, appr. 1.5 miles south from the end of
      pavement. It was feeding with a loose group of Sandhills, but, unlike
      them, it seemed to avoid flooded parts of the field. After about 30
      min, the entire group took off and flew NNE. I couldn't re-find them,
      and a couple which was looking for the crane in the end of pavement
      area never saw it passing, so the birds might have landed somewhere
      far from the road.
      I never got a close look, but I noticed that it soared more than
      Sandhills. I've noticed before that Demoiselle cranes soar more than
      all other non-tropical cranes (I've never seen any tropical cranes in
      the wild). I wonder if it is an adaptation to dry grasslands with
      their strong thermals, or simply a benefit of smaller size). Do
      African cranes soar a lot?
      Vladimir Dinets
    • MiriamEagl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
        Hi, all!

        Most of the observations of this bird seem to be late afternoon; is that the
        best time to go look for this bird? How about early morning? I'm planning
        on "doing" Calaveras County over Thanksgiving week and will probably make a
        side trip to try for the Demoiselle; anyone wanna join me for a day, either
        for the crane or in Calaveras?

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...