OOPS-2005, not 2006

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi, Seabirders,

      Sorry that I got the year incorrect in my earlier post‹Shearwater Journey's
      schedule for 2005, not 2006. I'm sure it was obvious to everyone.

      I thought it might be of interest to list the seabirds which are rare to
      California and/or North America that have been found on Shearwater Journey's
      trips:

      YELLOW-BILLED LOON- many records from our Monterey trips and one record from
      Fort Bragg.

      "SHY" ALBATROSS- all three records for the state have been found on our
      trips: two from Bodega Bay, and one near Fort Bragg.

      LAYSAN ALBATROSS- formerly thought to be a very rare albatross in CA; seen
      annually on our trips, most recently on our May 2005 Monterey trip.

      SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS- recorded on several of our trips, both Monterey and
      Bodega Bay.

      GREAT-WINGED PETREL- first record for the Northern Hemisphere on our August
      Bodega Bay trip, subsequently recorded on one of our Monterey trips, as
      well.

      MURPHY'S PETERL- most recently recorded on our Bodgea Bay and Fort Bragg
      trips.

      "DARK-RUMPED PETREL"- in recent years, recorded on our Bodega Bay and Fort
      Bragg trips; recorded last year on one of our September Bodega Bay trips.

      COOK'S PETREL- first recorded decades ago on Shearwater trips from Morro
      Bay; no firm recent records from our trips, suspected off Fort Bragg.

      STEJNEGER'S PETREL- first recorded years ago on a Shearwater trip from Morro
      Bay; no firm recent records from our trips.

      BULWER'S PETREL- first record for North America recorded on one of our late
      July trips from Monterey.

      GREATER SHEARWATER- recorded several times on our Monterey trips.

      WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER- recorded several times on our Monterey trips.

      MANX SHEARWATER- recorded from our Monterey, Bodega Bay, and Fort Bragg
      trips.

      STREAKED SHEARWATER- recorded from several of our Monterey trips, from one
      of our Fort Bragg trips, and most recently on one of our September 2004
      Bodega Bay trips.

      CORY'S SHEARWATER- recorded for the first time in the eastern Pacific from
      one of our Bodega Bay trips.

      LITTLE SHEARWATER- recorded for the first time from one of our mid-October
      trips from Monterey.

      WEDGE-RUMPED STORM-PETREL- recorded years ago in Monterey Bay on some of our
      earliest trips there. Due to show up again.

      RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD- recorded sporadically on our Monterey trips.

      RED-TAILED TROPICBIRD- recorded twice on our September albacore trips from
      Monterey.

      MASKED BOOBY- recorded sproadically on our Monterey trips.

      BROWN BOOBY- recorded sproadically on our Monterey trips, and on one of our
      Fort Bragg trips.

      MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD- recorded sproadically on our Monterey trips.

      GREAT FRIGATEBIRD- recorded near Mulligan Hill on one of our earliest
      Monterey trips. Due to show up again.

      PARAKEET AUKLET- recorded from our winter Bodega Bay trips. None in recent
      years.

      CRESTED AUKLET- recorded once nearshore on one of our Bodega Bay trips.

      LONG-BILLED MURRELET- recorded once on one of our September Bodega Bay
      trips.

      This list attempts to list the various rarities that have been recorded on
      Shearwater Journey's trips over the past 30 years. Some of these species
      have been recorded on other trips, or by researchers on offshore transects,
      some have not. These records have all been accepted by the California Bird
      Records Committee (CBRC). A few species have not been added to this list,
      since they have not been accepted, formally. These are seabirds that may
      show up on future trips, or that need further documention. Nevertheless,
      they are "seabird suspects", or should I say, "prospects" that should be
      looked for: Markham's Storm-Petrel, Black/Parkinson's Petrel, and "Brown"
      Skua.

      Hope you will be there when we add the next rarity to this list!

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi
      ---
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com