Tagged Golden Eagles

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2005
      Hi, all!

      While birding Otay Mountain Road today a young GOLDEN EAGLE scared the
      dickens out of me by waiting till the last minute to take off from the side of the
      road (I never saw him till then, naturally), but he had a red tag on his
      left wing. I did a Google search and couldn't find any agency to report this
      to; anyone out there know who to contact? He was about 8 miles in from where
      Marray Valley Road turns off of highway 94.

      The birds are really coming back into the burned area; the three "chaparral
      sparrows" (Sage, RC, and BC) were all present (Rufouscrowns were abundant),
      and even had a presumably dispersing juvenile Black-throated Sparrow! A
      calling Pacific-slope Flycatcher was out of place as well, calling from a burned
      out tree surrounded by absolutely nothing. A big family of Mountain Quail put
      on a show as well. The complete bird list is below.

      Good birding,

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

      White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Black-chinned Sparrow Spizella atrogularis
      Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata
      Sage Sparrow Amphispiza belli
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Lazuli Bunting Passerina amoena
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus

      41 SPECIES