Desert & Mountain Sightings (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2001
      Hi, all!

      Just touching on the unusual today: I thought perhaps the best "out-of-place"
      bird of the day was going to be the American Goldfinch that flew overhead at
      Narrows Earth Trail out in the middle of the Anza Borrego Desert, a long way
      from the nearest riparian woodland! But over at Yaqui Well, where there's
      only supposed to be California Quail, I heard a harsher covey note, and sure
      enough, a male Gambel's hopped up on a dead tree: rufous cap, pale belly with
      the big dark splotch in the middle, with no signs of scaling! There were at
      least two others making that same Gambel's type harsh call, but I was also
      hearing standard-sounding Californias. Then up at Fletcher Island in the
      Cuyamacas, had a pair of Lewis' Woodpeckers at the dike, along with a
      Ferruginous Hawk being chased by a Brewer's Blackbird.

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...