Antelope Valley birding

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2005
      Hello

      Next week I am going to be spending a few days in a cabin over in
      Antelope valley, east of palmdale. I am interested in trying to bird
      while I am their, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some
      advice on good places to bird nearby. My friends also have a interest
      in herps, so If anyone knows good places for snakes and lizards, we
      would appreciate that also

      P.S. If their are any good localities for Scott's Oriole...they would
      be much appreciated :P

      Morgan Churchill
      SDSU San Diego
    • MiriamEagl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2005
        Hi, Morgan!

        Someone local would be able to help you out better, but the Lancaster Sewage
        Ponds are a must (at least they used to be; I haven't been there in awhile);
        they're located along highway 138 just east of the intersection with highway
        14, on the north side of the road. You need to sign in before birding.

        I haven't been to Saddleback Butte State Park in a long time, either, but I
        think I've had Scott's Orioles there in the past; that's along county road N5,
        due east of Lancaster. Again, someone local might be better able to help.

        Have fun!

        In a message dated 7/13/2005 6:03:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        mmcjawa@... writes:

        Next week I am going to be spending a few days in a cabin over in
        Antelope valley, east of palmdale. I am interested in trying to bird
        while I am their, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some
        advice on good places to bird nearby. My friends also have a interest
        in herps, so If anyone knows good places for snakes and lizards, we
        would appreciate that also

        P.S. If their are any good localities for Scott's Oriole...they would
        be much appreciated :P

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...
        www.miriameaglemon.com

      • alfmo2002
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Howdy all- sorry for the late post.
          Went to the Antelope Valley yesterday Feb. first specifically
          to look for owls.
          On our search we went to a field located at 80th st E and D
          Avenue, on the s/e corner, we saw about a dozen Mountain Plovers.
          On the north side in the air base fence we saw a Sage Thrasher,
          along with some Horned-larks going from the field to the airbase.
          Avenue D is a dirt road but very good to drive on.
          Good birding.
          Al Moreno
          Downey, Ca