San Bernardino 7/12/05

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2005
      Yesterday, I finally had a chance to go birding around Arrastre Creek & the Big Bear Area. Driving 2N02 & 3N03 was quite the teeth jarring experience! Fortunately the great birding was worth it!

      Highlights of the day was the 2 HEPATIC TANAGERS (about 0.5 mi before the creek), the family of MT QUAIL attempting to cross the road, 2 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS cruising the area, all 3 jays (Stellars, Pinyon, Scrub), 3 CLARK'S NUTCRACKERS (quite noisy!), several CALLIOPE HUMMERS, and all the resident/nesting sparrows . Enjoyed seeing the forest of Joshua Trees and the resident birds around the Rose Mine Area. But no Gray Vireo's. On well, next time.

      Fortunately, I was able to find the PAINTED REDSTARTS fairly quickly around the cabins in Fawnskin. For those of you interested the directions are as follows: {Park in the Duane Boyer Public Launch area just west of Fawnskin and walk up the paved road across the highway. They are usually within a few hundred yards of the highway. The first bird was where this road makes a hairpin turn to the right; the second was a bit further up, where the road becomes dirt.}

      As I was leaving, I ran into some other birders (Gene Cardiff & Dori Myers). They shared that both Brown Pelicans and Marbled Godwits had recently been found at Baldwin lake. Parking along the north side of the road was a problem, but I was able to find one spot you could scope safely. On the dike directly to the south (across from the waste water treatment) was 2 MARBLED GODWITS. No Brown Pelican though.

      Since it was already 90 degrees and noon, I decided it was time to return home.
      Good birding!
      Frances
      Lodi, CA