Re: [CALBIRDS] Savannah Sparrow Question

  • Jeff Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2005
      Hi, Jim --

      Check Grinnell and Miller (1944). They reported several specimen
      records of this subspecies from the Central Valley.

      Jeff Davis
      Prather, CA

      On Jul 12, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Jim Gain wrote:

      > I came across a record for Passerculus
      > sandwichensis athinus from Joseph S. Dixon back in 1915. I don't
      > recall that
      > particular subspecies ever being mentioned in the valley. Does
      > anyone have
      > more information about this ssp in the Central Valley?
      >

      > Jim Gain
      >
      > Modesto

    • Jim Gain
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2005
        Thanks Jeff,
        I should have known to check Grinnell and Miller first. Instead I looked at
        Sparrows and Buntings by Byers, et. al. They state that this ssp is a
        resident of coastal salt marshes. I couldn't think of many salt marshes in
        the central valley. :0)

        Jim Gain
        Modesto