Savannah Sparrow Question

  • Jim Gain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2005
      I am going through the study skins records from
      http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/getmvzform?class=Aves
      <http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/getmvzform?class=Aves&query=all>
      &query=all for Stanislaus County and I came across a record for Passerculus
      sandwichensis athinus from Joseph S. Dixon back in 1915. I don't recall that
      particular subspecies ever being mentioned in the valley. Does anyone have
      more information about this ssp in the Central Valley?

      Jim Gain

      Modesto

    • Jeff Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2005
        Hi, Jim --

        Check Grinnell and Miller (1944). They reported several specimen
        records of this subspecies from the Central Valley.

        Jeff Davis
        Prather, CA

        On Jul 12, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Jim Gain wrote:

        > I came across a record for Passerculus
        > sandwichensis athinus from Joseph S. Dixon back in 1915. I don't
        > recall that
        > particular subspecies ever being mentioned in the valley. Does
        > anyone have
        > more information about this ssp in the Central Valley?
        >

        > Jim Gain
        >
        > Modesto

      • Jim Gain
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2005
          Thanks Jeff,
          I should have known to check Grinnell and Miller first. Instead I looked at
          Sparrows and Buntings by Byers, et. al. They state that this ssp is a
          resident of coastal salt marshes. I couldn't think of many salt marshes in
          the central valley. :0)

          Jim Gain
          Modesto