Short-tailed Albatross and Brown Booby, Santa Cruz Island

  • Sam Stuart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Birders,
      Yesterday afternoon at approximately 3:15pm while leaving the Prisoner's
      Harbor pier of Santa Cruz Island a young Short-tailed Albatross was spotted
      from our boat. The large brown body and massive pale pink bill were easily
      seen from a distance. This bird was initially spooked as we neared and took
      a short flight, we were able to approach it again once it sat back down.
      Everyone (~20) on board got great close up looks at this bird and we were
      able to take many photos and James McMorran got some nice video footage
      before leaving it. It was approximately 200 to 300 yard straight out from
      the pier.
      If this wasn't enough, while docked at Scorpion Harbor a Western Gull was
      observed chasing a Brown Booby at approximately 4:30pm. The uniform all
      brown back, pale buff/yellowish-gray bill and white belly were well seen. We
      were able to follow this bird from a medium distance as we left the pier. It
      seemed very familiar with the white Bird Rock near the pier and this is
      where we last saw it flying. Video and photos of this bird were also
      captured.
      Captain Jim of the Island Packers Ferry (
      http://www.islandpackers.com/index.html) was helpful and very accommodating
      of our wild excitement at seeing these awesome birds. We owe him lots of
      thanks!
      Sam Stuart
      San Clemente Island, CA