Baby Hermit Warbler, Mountain Chickadee, and Williamson's Sapsucker

  • Gary Hantsbarger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      On the morning of Saturday, July 2, I observed a Hermit Warbler
      feeding a newly fledged juvenile near the Sunset Boat Launch on the
      Union Reservoir in Eldorado National Forest. It must have been just
      fledged, because the tail feathers had not fully grown in. I think
      this may be of some significance, because according to the bird list
      I obtained at the nearby Forest Service information office, this
      species is not a confirmed breeder in Eldorado NF.

      It was a good weekend for me for finding baby birds. Besides the
      fledging Hermit Warbler at the Union Reservoir, on the morning of
      July 2 I found the nest of a Mountain Chickadee at the bottom of a
      fence post along the Lake of the Sky Trail at Taylor Creek on Lake
      Tahoe. I saw two adult chickadees entering a hole at the bottom of
      the post with beaks full of insects and heard the begging of chicks.
      In the afternoon of the same day, I found the nest of a pair of
      Williamson's Sapsuckers along a trail at Carson Pass. I saw the male
      foraging and then entering a hole in a large dead tree as the female
      left and heard the sound of chicks inside.

      Gary Hantsbarger
      San Mateo, CA
      ghantsbarger@...
      dbnl.blogspot.com