Re: Great-tailed grackles

  • Paul S. Highland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      Terry C. wrote:
      > A somewhat tardy report on a recent trip to Monterey Bay: while visiting the newly-developed Watsonville
      > Slough complex on June 23 (trails under construction, in part, but potentially interesting overviews of
      > several Watsonville-area sloughs in Santa Clara County, I witnessed a fly-by of a small flock of great-tailed
      > grackles (five or six). I suppose this is becoming a more regular sighting these days, wherever we are.

      Yes, these grackles have been slowly marching northward from southern California for the past
      several years. My first sighting in Santa Maria was in 1997, then here in Atascadero in 1999. This
      year there are at least three pairs in Atascadero, though I have not noticed any nesting activity.
      I have heard that there are grackles in the San Joaquin Valley at least as far north as Fresno.

      And speaking of grackles, here's a link to two Texas articles from May:

      http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/11675655.htm

      http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/051805dntexgrackles.ba3bf2f4.html

      === Paul H! in AtasCal
    • Paul S. Highland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
        "snorkler@..." wrote:

        > Great Tailed Grackles have been pretty regular in the bay area (3 hours northwest of Fresno) for at least three or four years. I remember seeing ten males at McNabney Marsh in Martinez (Contra Costa County) in June 2002.

        Sure is interesting how some species of birds expand their ranges while others decline. =PSH