TR: deepwater 11/3/01 S.Barb.Co.

  • D. Heindel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001
      Hi birdos,

      Deepwater overnight pelagic 11/3/01 from Sta. Barbara on Condor

      We finally got a day out at the shelf in something less than a gale!

      But birds were something less than spectacular too! The highlight

      was a small group of about 4 Sperm Whales! Also an equally

      small group of N.Right-Whale Dolphins was seen late in the day.

      Fresh Albacore burgers for lunch were a treat as well.

      Baffling was NO Albatrosses or Pterodromas, and only one

      observer saw a few un-ID'd Storm-Petrel sps., for the second

      trip in a row. Where are the birds??? Best birds were a

      "skua slam" including a late fully tailed (20 cm) Long-tailed Jaeger,

      in an interesting plumage (sub-ad. with barred underwings),

      and lengthy studies of Short-tailed Shearwater in the wake.

      Swell was about 5-7', winds 10-15 knots, overcast all day.

      Since we leave and return late at night, all birds mentioned

      were seen far asea (30+ miles). We went down the north rim

      of Arguello Cyn., then NW to the Sta. Lucia Escarpment, out

      off the shelf spending many hours over 1500-2000+ fathom

      waters. In the afternoon, we went SE over the 948 knoll, and

      across the mouth of Arguello, and then up the canyon, and

      worked the south rim. Following is the list I came up with....

      Common Loon - 1; Northern Fulmar - 12 (all dark); Pink-footed

      Shearwater - 118; Buller's Shearwater - 2; Sooty Shearwater - 26;

      Short-tailed Shearwater - 2; Storm-Petrel sp - 3 (one obs.); Brown

      Pelican - 12; Black Brant - 4; Surf Scoter - 3; Red Phalarope - 7+

      South Polar Skua - 3-4; Pomarine Jaeger - 28; Parasitic Jaeger - 1;

      Long-tailed Jaeger - 1; Bonaparte's Gull - 19; California Gull - 195;

      (98% 1st yrs.-(HY)); Herring Gull - 4; Thayer's Gull - 1; Western

      Gull - 60; Glaucous-wing x Western hybrid - 2; NO Mew or Heerman's;

      Sabine's Gull - 1 (ad.); Common Murre - 1 (few obs.); Cassin's

      Auklet - 70; Rhinoceros Auklet - 3; Passerine sp. probably Pipits -
      2;

      Audubon's Warbler - 1; and someone saw a Starling I heard ! Hope

      it continued west :):)

      Sperm Whale - 4; probable Humpback Whale - 3; Ca Sea Lion - 3-4

      Albacore - 5; Skipjack - 2; Mola - 3; N.Right-Whale Dolphin -
      3-4

      Special thanks to Captains Fred Benko and Mat Curto, and the

      crew of the Condor (Susan and Adam), who do an incredible

      job out there.... Also thanks to co-leaders Don DesJardin,

      Peter Cantle, and Bernardo Alps.

      Furture trips to this area will be day trips, done on the new

      Condor Express, a high speed Cat, which we be here Jan. or so...

      No dates are set yet. Will advise when known.

      happy seabirding,

      Mitch

      Mitch Heindel

      birdfish@...