6/5 pelagic to Sta Cruz Is

  • Jon Feenstra
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2005
      Sunday June 5 was the LA Audubon Society pelagic trip to Santa Cruz Island and the surrounding waters with Jon Feenstra, Todd McGrath, and Kimball Garrett as leaders. The Vanguard left Oxnard at 8AM and returned to the dock at 5:40PM. The weather was overcast and windy in the morning giving way to sun and more wind in the afternoon. The ride to the islands produced enough Cassin's Auklets and Xantus's Murrelets that everyone was able to get good looks of the birds sitting and flying. At 11AM we docked at Prisoner's Harbor on Santa Cruz Island to look for the Island Scrub-Jay. After an hour of Jay-watching we re-boarded the boat and made our way through the Santa Cruz/Anacapa gap to the productive waters several miles south of Sta Cruz Is. In this area we had great looks at the usual pelagic bird life (plus Blue and Fin Whales) as well as an immature Tufted Puffin, not seen on a Southern California pelagic in a number of years. Our route then took us northeast to the east end of Anacapa Is where we found an unseasonal and extremely accomodating Common Murre that allowed us boat side views. Overall, a great trip.

      The complete bird list:
      Surf Scoter - 10
      Pink-footed Shearwater - 76
      Sooty Shearwater - 297
      Black Storm-Petrel - 6
      Brown Pelican - many
      Double-crested Cormorant - 25
      Brandt's Cormorant - many
      Pelagic Cormorant - 30
      Bald Eagle - 2 (1st year and 2nd year)
      Red-tailed Hawk - 2
      American Kestrel - 2
      California Quail - 1
      Black Oystercatcher - 25
      South Polar Skua - 2
      Heermann's Gull - 10
      California Gull - 1
      Western Gull - many
      Elegant Tern - 1
      Common Murre - 1
      Pigeon Guillemot - 41
      Xantus's Murrelet - 37
      Cassin's Auklet - 58
      Rhinoceros Auklet - 1
      Tufted Puffin - 1
      Allen's Hummingbird - 2
      Northern Flicker - 2
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 2
      Island Scrub-Jay - 8
      Common Raven - 4
      Barn Swallow - 30
      Bewick's Wren - 8
      Orange-crowned Warbler - 6
      Spotted Towhee - 2
      Song Sparrow - 1
      Black-headed Grosbeak - 2
      House Finch - 10

      Marine Mammals:
      Blue Whale - 1
      Fin Whale - 2
      Pacific White-sided Dolphin - 11
      California Sea Lion - many
      Harbor Seal - 2
      Elephant Seal - 1

      Jon Feenstra

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2005
        Hi All,

        Photos of from the trip, except for the Island Scrub-Jay which will be up
        tonight, are on my website at

        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Shearwater_Pink-footed.htm
        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Murre_Common.htm
        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Guillemot_Pigeon.htm
        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Murrelet_Xantuss.htm
        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Puffin_Tufted.htm

        The Island Scrub-Jay will be at
        http://www.sosensky.com/bird-photos/Scrub-Jay_Island.htm when it is ready.

        At 02:57 PM 2005-06-07 -0700, Jon Feenstra wrote:
        >Sunday June 5 was the LA Audubon Society pelagic trip to Santa Cruz Island
        >and the surrounding waters with Jon Feenstra, Todd McGrath, and Kimball
        >Garrett as leaders. ... Xantus's Murrelets ... Island Scrub-Jay ... Tufted
        >Puffin ... Common Murre

        Good birding,

        Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
        <mailto:steve@...> for general use
        <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
        www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22