Re: [CALBIRDS] Scott's Oriole

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5 9:15 AM
      At 05:25 AM 11/5/01 -0000, jimmoore@... wrote:
      >We saw a Scott's Oriole at our house in Agua Dulce today. It is the
      >first time we have seen one in this region. Has anyone else in the
      >area seen one?

      Jim:

      Assuming you mean Agua Dulce in Los Angeles County (sw. of Palmdale),
      Scott's Oriole is a bit out of range. These orioles breed in
      joshua tree/juniper associations within a few miles of Agua Dulce
      (e.g. around Acton and the hills to the north of there), but these
      birds arrive in March or April and generally leave by August. Your
      bird is clearly an unseasonal wanderer, perhaps from a much more
      distant breeding population.

      As a courtesy to Calbirders, posted sightings should
      indicate the county (and other appropriate geographical