Summer Tanagers in Soledad Canyon

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      Zev Labinger and I found a "pair" of Summer Tanagers in
      Soledad Cyn near the US Forest Service campground that is a
      few miles east of Agua Dulce road.

      The male [which I found] was 1.7 km upstream of the
      campground @ 1 km east of "Rio Groceries" in the river bottom
      cottonwoods. He was calling "chucky-tucks" and insect catching
      when first observed; he came to within 20 feet having responded
      to "pishing" - and got his photo taken...

      The female [which Zev found] was a few hundred meters
      downstream of the campground; she was observed carrying,
      then dropping, nesting material. The birds were both found
      around 10 am, so apparently unrelated... at that point in time...

      I posted a photo of the male in the "Blackbirds" folder in Photos
      section. [let me know if this is the "correct" phylogenetic folder
      into which it should be placed -- I learned birds in a different
      "order" than they are now recognized by AOU and others]. Also, if
      anyone can tell, please let me know, if it is possible to tell from a
      photo, if this is the "expected" potentially breeding SUTA, or a
      "vagrant". Thanks!

      Happy Traill's!

      Jim Greaves
      Santa Barbara CA