Scott's Oriole

  • jimmoore@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      We saw a Scott's Oriole at our house in Agua Dulce today. It is the
      first time we have seen one in this region. Has anyone else in the
      area seen one?
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
        At 05:25 AM 11/5/01 -0000, jimmoore@... wrote:
        >We saw a Scott's Oriole at our house in Agua Dulce today. It is the
        >first time we have seen one in this region. Has anyone else in the
        >area seen one?

        Jim:

        Assuming you mean Agua Dulce in Los Angeles County (sw. of Palmdale),
        Scott's Oriole is a bit out of range. These orioles breed in
        joshua tree/juniper associations within a few miles of Agua Dulce
        (e.g. around Acton and the hills to the north of there), but these
        birds arrive in March or April and generally leave by August. Your
        bird is clearly an unseasonal wanderer, perhaps from a much more
        distant breeding population.

        As a courtesy to Calbirders, posted sightings should
        indicate the county (and other appropriate geographical