RE: [CALBIRDS] Pinnacles info for all requested

  • Mark Paxton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      Just to clarify Morgan's directions, the east side of Pinnacles can be
      reached from Highway 101 via two routes. Northbound travelers should exit
      at King City, taking Bitterwater Road past the airport several miles to
      Highway 25, whereupon they turn left, and continue bearing left. Southbound
      birders should exit Highway 101 just south of Gilroy, on Highway 25, taking
      it through Hollister some 30 miles south to the monument. Lawrence's
      Goldfinch should be looked for on either side. The reservoir just south of
      Paicines, for those traveling to the monument from the north, is reliable
      for Bald Eagle, and often contains unusual waterfowl. La Gloria Grade, a
      dirt road suitable for standard passenger cars, connects 25 and 101 a short
      distance north of the monument. It often is superb for birding. Please
      note that the road travels through unfenced private property, and at least
      one of the property owners is very aggressive in enforcing trespassing laws,
      sometimes at the point of a gun. Best to keep to the road.

      Prairie Falcon are also local breeders. At proper times, the feeders around
      the trailer behind the campground store can be very good for hummingbirds.

      Mark Paxton,
      Hollister, CA

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
        Also, it should be noted that the main (?) manager of the private
        campground, on the east side, has become very surly toward groups of
        birders parking in the lot by the store, even if it seems like there's
        plenty of space. If you have several cars in your group, or if the
        parking lot appears full, park in the overflow parking area less than a
        quarter of a mile down the road; there are chemical toilets there. The
        presence of the condors has attracted a lot of birders to this area, so
        they are having an impact on the campground. EVEN IF YOUR GROUP
        PURCHASES ITEMS AT THE STORE, THIS MANAGER HAS NOT BEEN FRIENDLY TO
        GROUPS OF CONDOR SEEKERS. Campers are most welcomed. There is at least
        one other manager who has been very nice.

        Les
        ---
        Les Chibana
        BirdNUTZ(tm) - Ornigasmic Birding
        em <les@...>
        web <http://www.birdnutz.com>
        ph 650-949-4335
        fx 650-949-4137
        snailmail: SR2 Box 335, La Honda CA 94020