Pinnacles info for all requested

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      Received alot of requests for Pinnacles info to be forwarded to
      them...so I figured I would just give a brief summary of relevant
      data. Note that this is forwarded info, not from 1st hand
      observation.

      To summarize:

      First of allÂ…there is a eastern and western entrance to the park, on
      Highway 25, which don't connect directly to each other, though you
      can hike the 3 mile or so that separate both halves of the highway.
      In general, the eastern entrance is a lot more productive. The
      eastern entrance is on Highway 25, the exit off of US-101 being about
      30 miles south of Hollister. There is one, privately owned
      campground (Pinnacles Campground), which can be a good place to spot
      Condors. In addition, Yellow-billed Magpies are common around the
      campground store (though I was able to see one just driving up US-
      101). Be sure to ask permission if you park at the campground, and
      buying a pop or snacks at the store would probably be a polite thing
      to do. There is also overflow parking available at the campground.
      Best time to see condors is early morning and late afternoon

      There are several trails in the park. Bear Gulch can be good for
      Condors, Canyon Wrens, Peregrines, and White-throated Swifts. The
      west side of the park can be good for Lawrence's Goldfinch, prairie
      falcon, and Rock/Canyon Wren

      Morgan Churchill
      SDSU San Diego
    • Mark Paxton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
        Just to clarify Morgan's directions, the east side of Pinnacles can be
        reached from Highway 101 via two routes. Northbound travelers should exit
        at King City, taking Bitterwater Road past the airport several miles to
        Highway 25, whereupon they turn left, and continue bearing left. Southbound
        birders should exit Highway 101 just south of Gilroy, on Highway 25, taking
        it through Hollister some 30 miles south to the monument. Lawrence's
        Goldfinch should be looked for on either side. The reservoir just south of
        Paicines, for those traveling to the monument from the north, is reliable
        for Bald Eagle, and often contains unusual waterfowl. La Gloria Grade, a
        dirt road suitable for standard passenger cars, connects 25 and 101 a short
        distance north of the monument. It often is superb for birding. Please
        note that the road travels through unfenced private property, and at least
        one of the property owners is very aggressive in enforcing trespassing laws,
        sometimes at the point of a gun. Best to keep to the road.

        Prairie Falcon are also local breeders. At proper times, the feeders around
        the trailer behind the campground store can be very good for hummingbirds.

        Mark Paxton,
        Hollister, CA

        Received alot of requests for Pinnacles info to be forwarded to
        them...so I figured I would just give a brief summary of relevant
        data. Note that this is forwarded info, not from 1st hand
        observation.

        To summarize:

        First of all...there is a eastern and western entrance to the park, on
[...]

        these addresses:

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Les Chibana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
          Also, it should be noted that the main (?) manager of the private
          campground, on the east side, has become very surly toward groups of
          birders parking in the lot by the store, even if it seems like there's
          plenty of space. If you have several cars in your group, or if the
          parking lot appears full, park in the overflow parking area less than a
          quarter of a mile down the road; there are chemical toilets there. The
          presence of the condors has attracted a lot of birders to this area, so
          they are having an impact on the campground. EVEN IF YOUR GROUP
          PURCHASES ITEMS AT THE STORE, THIS MANAGER HAS NOT BEEN FRIENDLY TO
          GROUPS OF CONDOR SEEKERS. Campers are most welcomed. There is at least
          one other manager who has been very nice.

          Les
          ---
          Les Chibana
          BirdNUTZ(tm) - Ornigasmic Birding
          em <les@...>
          web <http://www.birdnutz.com>
          ph 650-949-4335
          fx 650-949-4137
          snailmail: SR2 Box 335, La Honda CA 94020