Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: [nwcalbird] Humboldt Blue Jay finally gone!

  • Guy McCaskie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Doug,

      Do you have some information that is not published? To my knowledge, the
      two records you cite were "one day only" records, with no indication that
      either wintered locally; as such, they may better considered spring
      vagrants. Latest date for a known wintering bird, according to the records
      I have access to, was that of one present 30 Oct 1963 to 20 Apr 1964 at
      Mountain Home Village in the San Bernardino Mountains.

      Guy McCaskie
      954 Grove Avenue
      Imperial Beach, CA 91932
      619-423-7524

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi,

        I apologize for not noting thoses records were single day records as Guy
        states. But, I was under the impression that Rob was just inquiry about the
        latest Spring date and not the latest overwintering bird.

        Doug Shaw
        Santa Rosa, CA
        > Do you have some information that is not published? To my knowledge, the
        > two records you cite were "one day only" records, with no indication that
        > either wintered locally; as such, they may better considered spring
        > vagrants. Latest date for a known wintering bird, according to the
        records
        > I have access to, was that of one present 30 Oct 1963 to 20 Apr 1964 at
        > Mountain Home Village in the San Bernardino Mountains.
        >
        > Guy McCaskie
        > 954 Grove Avenue
        > Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        > 619-423-7524

      • tertial
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
          Many years ago, a friend of mine (Michael Plotkin) found a freshly
          molted Blue Jay tail feather while hiking in the Trinity Alps. I
          forget the date, but it was summer. He showed me the feather and it
          was in excellent condition. At my encouragement, I believe he sent
          the feather to Humboldt State c/o Gjon Hazard.

          Steve Hampton
          Davis, CA

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "s.doug" <s.doug@c...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I apologize for not noting thoses records were single day records
          as Guy
          > states. But, I was under the impression that Rob was just inquiry
          about the
          > latest Spring date and not the latest overwintering bird.
          >
          > Doug Shaw
          > Santa Rosa, CA

          Terms of