Re: [CALBIRDS] Crested Caracara

  • Bob Power
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
      Oh those crafty Caracara....

      From Birds of North America Online:

      Generally viewed, erroneously, as primarily a carrion
      feeder (Knowlton 1909, Bailey 1925, Bent 1938),
      probably because most visible when feeding on carrion.
      Actually a diet generalist and opportunistic forager,
      taking a wide variety of live prey, as well as
      carrion, from a variety of habitats.

      Main foods taken

      Insects; small and occasionally large vertebrates,
      including fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and
      mammals; eggs; and carrion of all types.

      ... seeks live prey while making low sweeping flights
      over roads, pastures, and marshes.

      While perched, intently follows activities of parent
      songbirds tending nests; successful raids recorded on
      nests of Loggerhead Shrikes (Lanius ludovicianus) and
      Northern Mockingbirds (Mimus polyglottos; Yosef and
      Yosef 1992). May occasionally hunt cooperatively;
      pairs of adults have been observed coordinating
      attacks on adult Cattle Egrets (Bulbulcus ibis;
      Whitacre et al. 1982), White Ibis (Eudocimus albus;
      Barbour 1923), prairie dogs (Cynomys sp.; Fisher
      1893), and lambs (Knowlton 1909, Bent 1938).

      Wish I was doin' what you're doin'.
      Best regards,
      Bob Power
      Oakland, CA

      --- sayers68 <sayers68@...> wrote:
      >... I know
      > they are mostly carrion feeders and they sometimes
      > will feed on lizards and other
      > small live animals. But my question is do they feed
      > on small birds? We are considering
      > it a predator, but I am not sure if it would take a
      > plover or not. ...
      >

      > John Sayers
      > Western Snowy Plover monitor
      > Morro Bay State Parks

      "No birds sang the whole time we were up there. I didn't see a thing. I still dream about that trip though." Ted Parker, Northern Peru. 1978
      From: A Parrot Without A Name. Don Stap. Knopf, 1990

      Bob Power
      Oakland, CA
      Alameda County
    • Oscar Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hi all,

        I just received a second hand report of a Crested Caracara at McGrath State Beach in Ventura. It was seen this morning (5 January) in Area 1 of the state beach, from there it flew north towards the Santa Clara River Estuary, where it appeared to land. The observer was Daniel Gant, a ranger with the state parks. He is a begining birder, but he has some familiarity with the species, and he is confident that it was a Caracara. He also obtained photos, which I will try to get a hold of. He also said the bird was unbanded and appeared to wild.

        Good luck.

        Oscar Johnson
        Santa Barbara, CA

      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2006
          Greetings~
          I'm the state park ranger who was fortunate to view the Crested
          Caracara yesterday (1/5) at 10AM. It was perched on top of a pile of
          cleared brush adjacent to a trash can straight out from campsite 44 in
          campground loop 1 at McGrath State Beach. The bird then flew approx
          50 yards away and landed on the sand dunes. After hopping around in
          the sand briefly, it flew again, soaring briefly and giving a good
          view of what looked to be definite adult plumage before descending
          behind some willows lining the Santa Clara River. I had a great look
          at the bird for 5-10 minutes and did not see any bands, tags, or
          jesses. I checked the park again today (1/6), but did not see the
          bird. I've posted two photos in the Raptors folder.

          McGrath State Beach is located just north of the Santa Clara River
          (which separates the cities of Ventura and Oxnard) in Ventura County.
          If you're in the area and wish to look for the bird, please be aware
          that due to recent flood damage, the state PARK IS temporarily CLOSED
          TO ALL VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. Currently, the ONLY way to access the park
          for day use is from Spinnaker Drive off of Harbor Blvd; park at the
          end of Spinnaker once it starts to curve north and go parallel to the
          beach in a parking area known as Surfer's Knoll. Parking is free
          here; walk downcoast on the beach (1/4-1/2 mile) and cross the Santa
          Clara River outflow (the sand bar that caused the park to flood was
          breached during the storms over New Year's but may be forming again
          already). Continue downcoast another 1/4 mile then take one of many
          use paths over the dunes to access the area near the campground where
          the bird was viewed.

          Alternatively, (and ideally) make a reservation
          (www.reserveamerica.com) and spend a night or two camping in this gem
          of a state park. McGrath State Beach is a great camping park with
          great birding along the river and superb coastal dunes & an extensive
          beach. McGrath has no day use facilities other than a small parking
          lot (day use fees are $8/vehicle).

          If anyone views the bird (or any other notable birds/critters), please
          drop me an email at: DGant@...
          Also, if anyone has any questions about Ventura Sector State Parks,
          please feel free to email me.

          ~Daniel Gant
          Carpinteria, CA

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Oscar Johnson <henicorhina@y...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I just received a second hand report of a Crested Caracara at
          McGrath State Beach in Ventura. It was seen this morning (5 January)
          in Area 1 of the state beach, from there it flew north towards the
          Santa Clara River Estuary, where it appeared to land. The observer was
          Daniel Gant, a ranger with the state parks. He is a begining birder,
          but he has some familiarity with the species, and he is confident that
          it was a Caracara. He also obtained photos, which I will try to get a
          hold of. He also said the bird was unbanded and appeared to wild.

          > Good luck.
          >
          > Oscar Johnson
          > Santa Barbara, CA

        • Vic Murayama
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10 4:06 PM
            Pictures of the Crested Caracara that was located in San Ysidro can
            now be viewed on my website at:
            http://vtm.smugmug.com/gallery/1875612/1/94369306.

            Vic Murayama
            Chula Vista, CA
            http://vtm.smugmug.com
          • doug@basiclink.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 13 12:10 PM
              The Crested Caracara was at Dairy Mart Ponds as reported this morning. I
              refound the bird at the IHOP parking lot in the shopping mall parking down
              the road to the east at 7:40 a.m. The directions have been previously
              posted.

              Douglas Aguillard
              San Diego, CA
              doug@...
              http://sdbirds.basiclink.com
            • Jim Roberts
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
                This morning (10/12/06) at 11:15 AM, the CRESTED CARACARA was roosting
                on a snag in the Dairy Mart Ponds (Tijuana River Valley, adjacent to
                Dairy Mart Road).

                Jim Roberts
                University City
                San Diego
              • Ruth Rudesill
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
                  I just got home from a visit to my relatives in Ft Dick (outside Crescent City, Del Norte Co.) The previously reported Crested Caracara was seen by myself and my sister on July 5th in the am.

                  The bird was on Lower Lake Dr near Silva Rd. There is a wildlife pullout overlooking a pond and field ( with American bison and long horned Ethiopian cattle in it!) The caracara was in a snag overlooking the pond and flew over us to land on another snag for good scope views.

                  There were a lot of TVs there and maybe there was a dead cow or something nearby....

                  My Del Norte list has some really great birds on it so this is a welome addition (years ago saw a Gyrfalcon in almost the same spot!)

                  Ruth Rudesill
                  Kenwood CA