help needed

  • rwoodphd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      At the beginning of the month, I took a trip to Los Angeles. On the
      way back to utah, I stopped in Newberry Springs, where there is a
      water park along IH 15. As I looked out over the pond,i saw an Osprey
      flying. I watched him for a while, until I caught a glimpse of
      another bird sitting in a tree behind the water.

      This bird was all black, and had a fairly long tail. I looked in my
      field guide, and I thought of Yellow-billed Magpie, but this bird had
      no visible white on him. Yesterday, I was at home thinking about this
      bird, and I thought about it being a Steller's Jay, but I ruled him
      out because of his blue lower half.

      As I continued looking through my field guide, I came across
      Phainopepla. This bird is found in southwestern deserts (according to
      the road atlas, Newberry Springs is in the middle of the Mojave
      Desert). My question is how likely is it that this bird WAS a
      Phainopepla?

      Good birding,
      Richard

      Richard L. Wood