Re: [nwcalbird] Humboldt Blue Jay finally gone!

  • s.doug
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 8:23 PM
      Hi Rob and All,

      The previous latest Spring dates appear to be in late April. CRBC records show one from 4/24/50 from Chico in Butte County and one in Modoc County 4/27/88.

      Good Birding,
      Doug Shaw
      Santa Rosa, CA
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Doug,

        Do you have some information that is not published? To my knowledge, the
        two records you cite were "one day only" records, with no indication that
        either wintered locally; as such, they may better considered spring
        vagrants. Latest date for a known wintering bird, according to the records
        I have access to, was that of one present 30 Oct 1963 to 20 Apr 1964 at
        Mountain Home Village in the San Bernardino Mountains.

        Guy McCaskie
        954 Grove Avenue
        Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        619-423-7524

        > The previous latest Spring dates appear to be in late April. CRBC
        records show one from 4/24/50 from Chico in Butte County and one in Modoc
        County 4/27/88.

        > Good Birding,
        > Doug Shaw
        > Santa Rosa, CA

        Service.

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • s.doug
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          Hi,

          I apologize for not noting thoses records were single day records as Guy
          states. But, I was under the impression that Rob was just inquiry about the
          latest Spring date and not the latest overwintering bird.

          Doug Shaw
          Santa Rosa, CA
          > Do you have some information that is not published? To my knowledge, the
          > two records you cite were "one day only" records, with no indication that
          > either wintered locally; as such, they may better considered spring
          > vagrants. Latest date for a known wintering bird, according to the
          records
          > I have access to, was that of one present 30 Oct 1963 to 20 Apr 1964 at
          > Mountain Home Village in the San Bernardino Mountains.
          >
          > Guy McCaskie
          > 954 Grove Avenue
          > Imperial Beach, CA 91932
          > 619-423-7524

        • tertial
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
            Many years ago, a friend of mine (Michael Plotkin) found a freshly
            molted Blue Jay tail feather while hiking in the Trinity Alps. I
            forget the date, but it was summer. He showed me the feather and it
            was in excellent condition. At my encouragement, I believe he sent
            the feather to Humboldt State c/o Gjon Hazard.

            Steve Hampton
            Davis, CA

            --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "s.doug" <s.doug@c...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I apologize for not noting thoses records were single day records
            as Guy
            > states. But, I was under the impression that Rob was just inquiry
            about the
            > latest Spring date and not the latest overwintering bird.
            >
            > Doug Shaw
            > Santa Rosa, CA

            Terms of