May 27 Pelagic Report

  • Rusty Scalf
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 8:56 PM
      Hello Calbirders,

      I post the following for Jennifer Green who led a Shearwater Journeys
      boat trip on Monterey Bay Saturday. -Rusty Scalf

      **********************************

      A wonderful day on the bay with high overcast and a chance to travel 16
      miles offshore both north and slightly south west of Point Pinos.
      Some of the excellent bird sightings included:

      YELLOW-BILLED LOON-1 (basic plumage)
      Pacific Loon -8
      Common Loon- 3
      LAYSAN ALBATROSS- 1
      Black-footed Albatross- 20
      Pink footed shearwater- 5
      Sooty Shearwater- 3025
      Common Murre- 325
      Pigeon Guillemot- 28
      Cassin's Auklet- 13 (great study close to boat)
      Rhinoceros Auklet- 9

      Some of the excellent marine mammal sightings:
      Humpback whales- 6
      Northern Right Whale Dolphins- 175
      Risso's Dolphin- 42 (4 separate pods)
      Pacific White Sided Dolphin- 250
      No Elephant Seal- 4
      No Fur Seal- 2

      Looking forward to more great pelagics, Jennifer Green

      http://mail.yahoo.com