Cassin's Sparrow

  • James F. Holmes
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2005
      The Cassin's Sparrow in eastern Sacramento County was present and singing
      this morning (May 25). It was in the same area as previously described and
      ranged from the area of the two gates to the large puddle of water in the
      road (where it bathed).

      The area can be reached by going east from Sacramento on Highway 16.
      Shortly after passing Rancho Murieta, turn left (north) on Michigan Bar
      Road. Follow Michigan Bar Road until it comes to a T intersecton. At the T
      intersection, turn left (onto Latrobe Road) and go 1.1 miles. Park at the
      crest of the hill near the gates. This morning the bird was seen from the
      area of the gates, west along Latrobe Road to the large puddle of water in
      the middle of the road.

      I also had a couple of Lawrence's Goldfinches along Michigan Bar Road. They
      were approximately 0.5 miles north of the single lane bridge on Michigan Bar
      Road. I have seen Lawrence's Goldfinches in this area in May in prior years
      (especially from the bridge as they come down to the river to drink).

      Jim Holmes
      Sacramento, CA