Improvements to Percevia Bird Search Engine

  • Mitchell Waite
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2005
      This list has been very supportive of the Percevia Field Guide to Bird's of
      North America search engine. Many have made valuable contributions and I
      wanted to point out some new developments in this non profit venture.

      Developments:

      o Entire interface has been revamped to allow viewing on 800 x 600 displays.
      http://www.percevia.com

      o Now 755 birds of North America in the database.
      http://tinyurl.com/5sbm7

      o NEW Wizard identification method asks simple questions to help you ID:
      http://www.percevia.com/wizards/StateColorSize/wizard.aspx

      o Graphic elements have been reduced to allow faster download on dialup
      accounts.

      o NEW Species Account Pages. Allen's Hummingbird Example:
      http://tinyurl.com/4zgj3

      o NEW Head Pattern field mark.
      http://tinyurl.com/77com

      o Any species account page can be printed and put in a binder.

      o Side by side Comparison Grid: Example of four birds:
      http://tinyurl.com/8nkky

      o Online tutorial/help:
      http://www.percevia.com/Help_Web_Client/Help_Web_Client.htm

      o Percevia to be used in the Wild Bird Feeding Institute's
      (http://www.wbfi.org) "Project Wildbird" Research Study of back yard feeding
      habits starting this year. Details:
      http://www.wildbirdcenter.com/content/study/

      o Blog:
      http://percevia.blogspot.com

      o QuickSearch Toolbar can be added to your website. Type in a bird's name,
      autocomplete menu finds all birds close to the name, click on it, see the
      species account.
      http://www.percevia.com/searchbutton/signup.aspx

      o 75,000 visitors in April.

      Thanks to everyone for the continuing support.

      Mitchell Waite
      Sausalito, California