Sierra Valey - Sierra County

  • quail442003
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2005
      I entered Sierra Valley from the northeast using HY70/HY49.
      It was dusk near 7:30PM, Saturday evening.
      Within three miles from the intesection of 70/49, on the right were
      two SHORT EARED OWLS working a grass field near the fence line( no
      road marker available ). Again approxmately two mile further west on
      49 were two more SHORT EARED OWLS working a different field.
      I pulled off onto a wide spot mixed with sage. B-4 I could get out
      of the car a POOR-WILL flushed up. The POOR-WILL circled my spot got
      a little elvation and flew east low following the fence line.
      I used the Sierra Motel (530-994-3751) in SierraVille on Hy89/HY49.
      This side of the valley is very wet,the evening was pleasant and the
      sound of willowing Snipe went on pass 9PM.
      Up early and to Yuba Pass. The Yuba Pass camp ground is under a
      sheet of snow firmly packed by snowmobiles as well as the Forest
      Service roads across HY49. There was a contingent of snowmobliers
      camping on the parking lot. It was windy and cold.
      Birding was good walking west both sides of the roads.
      Hairy Woodpecker male/female
      White Headed Woodpecker male
      Williason's Sapsucker male/female
      BLACK BACKED WOODPECKER female
      Brown Creeper
      Wilson,Yellow rumped,Yellow, MacGillivray's warblers.
      WesternWood Pewee (1), Evening Grosbeak (1),Cassin Finches.
      Back down HY 49 @ the Vista Pullout were Western Tanager (1)and a
      PINE GROSBEAK (1).
      Sierra Valley itself is flooded: there is high groundwater
      everywhere.
      I did the normal routine of searching the maze of county roads
      searching for Black Terns.
      NO black Terns were found.
      All the birds we normally expect to find in the valley were found.
      Sand Hill Cranes near the Marble Bridge with Ibis,YellowHeaded Black
      Birds.
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton,Cal