Re: [CALBIRDS] Frankin's Gull in Monterey Co.

  • Bill Bousman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15 8:33 PM
      At 05:58 PM 5/15/05, Robert Lewis wrote:
      >Rusty Scalf and I led a group to Point Lobos today to observe the nesting
      >Brandt's Cormorants at Bird Rock. While standing there a group of gulls
      >wheeled overhead, and an alternate plumaged Franklin's gull was in the mix.
      >It circled over the group twice and was well seen.
      >
      >As an aside, there were many fewer cormorants than in previous years at
      >Point Lobos. The ranger told us that it was because the water temperature
      >was higher than normal, probably making fishing poor. I wonder if this is
      >also reflected in the seabird colonies on the Farallones this year.

      I'm not the one to comment on this, for certain, but on the Monterey Bay
      Seabirds trip today we admired the amazing quantity of nesting Brandt's
      Cormorants on the Coast Guard pier at Monterey. Don Roberson estimated
      320+ nests and noted that these birds have only nested here in the last few
      years and the number of nests have been increasing noticeably. Perhaps
      some of the Pt. Lobos birds have been moving to Monterey. [I also thought
      this was a cooler water year--I must have got that wrong.]

      Bill Bousman
      Menlo Park