Monterey Seabirds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2005
      There are a few spaces still available for tomorrow's Monterey Seabirds
      outing. We will make an effort to relocate the YELLOW-BILLED LOON that
      has been present all week off Otter Point. Killer Whales have been seen
      6 out of the last 7 days so there is an excellent chance of seeing them
      as well. Cost is $80 per person. 831-375-4658
      http://www.montereyseabirds.com

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
      Soquel Canyon, CA
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 2006
        A trip report with photos by Jeff Poklen for the Monterey Seabirds
        voyage to Sur Ridge on Aug. 13 is online at
        http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReport060813.htm

        Cheers,
        Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
        Soquel Canyon, CA
      • John Sterling
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2014
          Just a follow up to my earlier announcement about pelagic trips with Monterey Seabirds for this fall.  Our August 24th trip is fully booked, but we do have spaces on our September 7 (half day), 21, 28, October 5 and 12th, and November 7 (half day) trips.

          As usual, we have great leaders including the incomparable Todd Easterla, and the best boat captain of all, Richard Ternullo--a trained biologist and seasoned captain for many decades.  We are the friendliest boat in the Monterey area, no stress, no yelling, no problems.

          As others have mentioned, this is already a very interesting fall for pelagic seabirds and is the best opportunity to see Craveri's Murrelets in many, many years off Monterey.  With Alvaro's recent sighting of the Salvin's Albatross off San Mateo, who knows what else is out there.

          We at Monterey Seabirds are proud to partner with Alvaro Jaramillo's "Alvaro's Adventures", and there is an opportunity to go on our boat on his chartered trip and our regular trip on back-to-back days--Oct 11 & 12.  The more time you spend on the water, the more likely you'll be on the boat when a mega rarity shows up.  Also everyday on the water is different!

          Reservations are required. Reservations can be made using our online reservation form or by calling (831) 375-4658 with a credit card number to hold your spot. Go to Whale Watch Trip Information Page for further details (trip preparation, directions, etc.). For the Seabird trips we have a 2-week cancellation policy.

          John Sterling
          VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

          26 Palm Ave
          Woodland, CA 95695
          530 908-3836
          jsterling@...
          www.sterlingbirds.com

        • DEBRA SHEARWATER
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2015
            Howdy, CalBirders,

            Monterey's seabirds are really putting on a show this week. Upwards of 2000 SABINE'S GULLS, 90,000 Sooty Shearwaters, and more have been seen from shore. I've been asked by a number of photographers about the Shearwater Journeys' trip this Friday, July 31. Spaces are available. Seems like this could be a good opportunity to photograph these masses of seabirds, although video might be best. Such a large migrating flock of Sabine's Gulls is very rarely recorded, although I once saw 3000+ at the Cordell Bank, Bodega Bay.

            See the most recent Point Pinos eBird report: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24410856

            Leaders on the July 31 Monterey trip include: Steve Howell, Scott Terrill, Brian Sullivan, Nick Levendosky, Jennifer Green, David Pavlik, and Debi Shearwater.

            View the leader line up for all of our upcoming trips at:

            Shearwater Journeys' has some 26 pelagic trips on offer this fall season with departures from Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, Bodega Bay and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands. A few trips are sold out, but spaces are available on many others. The complete trip schedule  is here:

            There is only one Albacore trip, September 12,  which departs from Monterey:

            Certainly looking like a very interesting year — but, aren't they all — one way or another! Help us kick off our 40th year of Monterey seabird trips this week!

            Shearwaters Forever,
            Debi Shearwater

            DEBRA SHEARWATER
            Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
            PO Box 190
            Hollister, CA 95024
            831.637.8527

            Celebrating 40 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys