Hooded Mergansers breeding in Central Valley

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2005
      In May of 2003 Cliff Hawley saw and videotaped a female Hooded Merganser
      with chicks on the Sun City Lincoln Hills property just east of Lincoln in
      Placer County. I submitted this record to NA Birds at the time, but Cliff was
      unable to download the video so it had no associated documentation. In the last
      few days I learned that a Lincoln Hills resident had seen evidence of breeding
      HOMEs in the same area this April. Jack Ferrante just sent me excellent
      photos of the female with chicks taken on April 17-18 this year.

      I have not yet done a full literature review, but am unaware of any
      documented Central Valley breeding records for this species (and only a handful of CA
      records). If anyone out there has info on this, please contact me offline.

      Also, since I would like to confirm that these are indeed wild birds, I'd
      appreciate folks' thoughts on that. I understand that Hoodies are NOT easy to
      raise in captivity and these birds appeared to be wild by behavior and lack of
      physical signs of captivity (no bands, no indication of flight feather
      clipping).

      Ed Pandolfino

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2005
        Talk to people monitoring Wood Duck nest boxes. We've now documented
        breeding Hooded Mergansers in both Humboldt and Mendocino County by talking
        to those folks!

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        ron@...
        707/826-0300

[...]